• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to delete text/image on a page that is link to a master

New Here ,
Jun 14, 2017 Jun 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I successfully unlink and delete text and images that are link to a master page, but the items that I've deleted keep coming back. I can't find a way to remove them. I tried unlinking from master, deleting them, saving the file, close the file and open it again, but what I deleted came back.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 14, 2017 Jun 14, 2017

It's possible the file is corrupted. Try saving the file as an IDML file (File > Save As) and then reopen the file in InDesign to see if the issue goes away.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mandy,

If I get it, you are not able to delete items which are linked to Master page in an InDesign file? Are those items still there on the Master page? If yes, you can try overriding Master page items. Please check this link for details:

Learn how to use master pages in InDesign

Regards,

Om

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Om,

I've already override the link from the Master page (command +shift) and deleted the items from the page. Once I save, close, and open the file, the items came back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you Overriding the Master Page objects? Not sure I understand "Unlinking."

To change objects on local pages that from Master Pages, you need to unlock those objects. Command + Shift + click on the object on Mac (Control + Shift + click [Windows]) to unlock. Then do whatever you want to the object.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeff,

I did exactly that! That's how I was able to delete the image/text from the page.

But once I close the file and open it again, the text/images that I deleted came back

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm! That's strange.

Does this happen in just one file or all files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So far just one file.

There are multiple master in the file, but it is only happening to that one master.

I'm not sure if this is happening because this "master" is actually based on another master.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's possible the file is corrupted. Try saving the file as an IDML file (File > Save As) and then reopen the file in InDesign to see if the issue goes away.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeff,

Thank you so much!

It worked! However, because this file is part of a book, so once I add this file back to the book, it just mess up the master.

I'm guessing it is the file where I have all the source of the masters is corrupted.

I'm just not sure how to fix the issue when all my files are part of a book.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try saving the Source File as an IDML, open it and do a Save As to replace the corrupted file.

Hope it works!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It didn't work. It just screw up the pages. Everything that I've overrided from the master now came back.

Thank you very much for you help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines