• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Inconsistent Line Spacing in Text Boxes

New Here ,
Jun 14, 2017 Jun 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In using the current version of InDesign on a PC. When  I create a new text box and apply any paragraph styles (either programmed or manually set) to to the text, if I use return to start a new line, it is WAY outside the box area and gives me an error. There are no line spacing settings in place. If I expand the text box, I can't even see the text and the error cannot be cleared without deleting everything. I've built the exact same boxes on my laptop (Mac) and never encountered this problem. I have no idea what is happening. The image shows what is happening in a text box using columns (the only way to visually show what is happening). This is driving me CRAZY!

Thanks in advance for any insight!!

Adobe CC issue.JPG

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 14, 2017 Jun 14, 2017

Ok, Corinne! Use Type > Show Hidden Characters to see what is happening at the end of each line. You have hard return symbols at the end of the text in the first frame, but a column break at the end of the text in the 2nd frame. That's why the text disappears after you add it.

InDesign CCss_002.png

There are two ways to add column breaks: either use Type > Insert Break Character > Column Break or press the Numeric Enter key. The first one requires thought, the second is an accident waiting to happen. When I delete the

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi corinnne.arws,

Please check the same behavior in new document, if that works fine try moving the pages to new document

Manage pages and spreads in InDesign

Regards

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Based on your screen shot, I'd guess you have Balance Columns on as a(n unintended) default. Select the frame and turn it off and see if that restores the expected behavior. If that's the issue, come back and let us know and we can help you turn off the default. Type > Text Frame Options on a selected frame.

InDesign CCss_001.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the suggestion, the balance is off (that's my default). All other spacing settings are my normal settings or 0. Completely stumped!! : )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm guess I am unclear on the actual problem. In the last screen shot, you wrote that if you apply any formatting, "this occurs". What exactly is occurring? Is it the extra spacing between the paragraphs? Once I understand the issue, I should be able to help.

And generally speaking, since it's on one computer, I think you are dealing with a system default of some sort. Why don't you close all files, trash preferences and try again?

Troubleshooting 101: Replace, or "trash" your InDesign preferences

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After I modify any text element (size, spacing, color, justification - anything) and I use "enter" to start a new line of text, the new line of text drops WAY down in the box. So far that even resizing the text box to be the entire page - or work board, for that matter - I cannot see it. The column example was to showed that the next line was started in the next column, even though there was plenty of room left. The problem is consistent across all of my text boxes, even in new documents created with standard preferences - nothing custom. The minute any sort of modification is made to the default text options and I use enter to start a new paragraph/line, the new paragraph/line is not visible and I have a text error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you on a full keyboard, with a numeric keypad? Could you be alternating between the primary enter key and the one on the keypad? The one in the main part of the keyboard is a hard return, the one on the keypad is a column break. (This is a Mac keyboard, but a Windows keyboard works the same way.)

keyboard mac.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, the same thing is happening in a new document as well. See the screenshot with more detail.

Adobe CC issue follow up.JPG

I'm now working in the same file on my Mac, and am not having any problems. Possible PC software bug?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's been a long day. Now I see that it is overset. So start with preferences. If it is still happening after that, would you share a file with me via dropbox so that I can take a look?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using a full keyboard, but I've been using my primary "enter" key (the middle one) - at least I think I have. I never use the other one, not consciously at least. It's been a long day here, too.

Here is one of the test files that I did that shows the problem.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/f8n63zoa2zw31l6/Text%20modification%20issues%20-%20sample%20document.indd?...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So we are in the same boat!

OK, play with the two enter keys to see what I mean, and I'll take a look at your file now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, Corinne! Use Type > Show Hidden Characters to see what is happening at the end of each line. You have hard return symbols at the end of the text in the first frame, but a column break at the end of the text in the 2nd frame. That's why the text disappears after you add it.

InDesign CCss_002.png

There are two ways to add column breaks: either use Type > Insert Break Character > Column Break or press the Numeric Enter key. The first one requires thought, the second is an accident waiting to happen. When I delete the Column Break character (it's a blue down pointing caret), the text returns. Try it on your file.

InDesign CCss_004.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU!!!

I could see those marks there, but for the life of me could not delete them (my mouse is on it's last leg). I'll be putting a piece of red tape on that numeric enter key - apparently I use it and never notice it.

Thanks again for your help!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You are so welcome, Corinne!

It's actually an awesome shortcut for the column break, once you know it's there. But a lot of my students struggle with the two Enters/Returns until we get a chance to talk about it in class.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines