• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Creating 2 new collections using the "make virtual copies" option - Tough problem.

New Here ,
Jun 14, 2017 Jun 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using Lightroom 5.7.1 on a PC.  Assume I have 5 photos in a folder.

1. I use shift-click to select all 5 photos.
  2. Then I create a new collection named "Black & White" and use "Include selected photos" and "Make virtual copies" options.
  3. I make all 5 photos in the "Black & White" collection, black & white.
  4. BUT NOW IN MY SOURCE "FOLDER" I HAVE 10 PHOTOS!  The original 5 photos plus 5 virtual copies in B&W.

OK, now I want to make a second collection containing virtual copies of the original 5 photos for high dynamic colors.

1. I can't use shift-click (as in step-1 above) to select the original 5 photos because doing that selects all 10 photos.  But I don't want virtual copies of the B&W photos in my second collection.

So now I'm stuck at step-1 and cannot proceed to step-2.

For only 5 photos, I could ctrl-click the original 5 photos and proceed to step-2.  But this is only an example.  In my real world, I might have 250 original photos.  It's too tedious to go through 500 images (250 original + 250 B&W) and ctrl-click the 250 original photos.

Is there an easy way to select only the original 250 photos in step-1?

----- After a lot of thought, I figure that in my source FOLDER, I could stack the virtual copies of the photos with the original photos and end up with 250 images.  This would allow using shift-click to select the 250 original photos.  But I can't figure out how to stack the virtual B&W copies behind the original photos in an automated way.  Any way do do automated stacking of virtual copies behind the original photos? -----

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 14, 2017 Jun 14, 2017

To 'Hide' any virtual copies-

1. Click on [Attributes]  on the filter bar and look at the "Kind" icon selectors-

2. Click (to toggle 'on' ) the 'film' icon (the left of three) to show only "Master Photos"

ScreenShot027.jpg

Or likewise-  Click (to toggle 'on' ) the 'virtual copy' icon (the center of three) to show only "Virtual Copies"

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can use the Library filter bar to hide all but a subset of currently visible images (within a given folder or collection based view) according to various attributes of the images themselves. You can then highlight just those that remain visible.

One such attribute is their "kind": whether they are virtual copies, or else master copies.

It may be worth saving a couple of named user filter presets (say: "virtual only" / "master only") for the future; as well as another filter preset (say: "show all") which clears all such filtering.

These presets can then be conveniently applied by name, on the fly, working from a drop-down menu at the right hand end of the Filmstrip - without needing to go back into the Filter bar again. You can set up whatever is most useful to your particular workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

richardplondon said:

"You can use the Library filter bar to hide all but a subset of currently visible images (within a given folder or collection based view) according to various attributes of the images themselves. You can then highlight just those that remain visible.

One such attribute is their "kind": whether they are virtual copies, or else master copies."

Hi Richard.

Thank you for your reply.  In LR 5.7.1 I don't see a "kind" attribute in the filter bar.  However, I did figure out a way to do what I needed using the star rating filter.

The ratings in my source folder for my preferred photos was 5-stars.  In my B&W collection folder I set the star rating for all photos as 4-stars.  This also set the ratings for all of the virtual copies in the source folder as 4-stars.  Now filtering the source folder for 5-star ratings, all of the virtual copies are automatically stacked behind the original 5-star photos.  I was then able to create a second collection and create virtual copies of the original photos in it without any B&W virtual copies being imported into the second folder.

Problem solved.  Thanks much for your quick reply .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Click on [Attributes]  on the filter bar and look at the "Kind" icon selectors-

2. Click (to toggle 'on' ) the 'film' icon (the left of three) to show only "Master Photos"

ScreenShot027.jpg

Or likewise-  Click (to toggle 'on' ) the 'virtual copy' icon (the center of three) to show only "Virtual Copies"

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

wobertc said:

ScreenShot027.jpg

---------------------------

Hi wobertc,

Oh, the "kind" filter is above the grid/loupe view panel.

I was looking for the "kind" buttons below the grid/loupe view panel.

Thanks for posting your image as it helped me find the "kind" buttons.  And yes, clicking the left-most kind button does display only the Master Photos exactly as I need.

Thanks much,

Raptor88

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines