• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Text clipped when copying from InDesign table to Word

Explorer ,
Jun 14, 2017 Jun 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whenever a table is copied from InDesign and pasted into Word, the first letter of the table title is always clipped. Sometimes it happens to the Source: text, too. Any ideas on how to fix this? I have hundreds of tables to do and I'm afraid of missing one of the corrections. Notice in the screenshots below, the U has been removed.

InDesign:

InDesign.png

Word:

Word.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not able to replicate this issue. How are you selecting the table?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I click in any cell, go to the Table drop-down, then "Select", then "Table." I then copy (this is a Mac), and paste in Word. The character between the "Table 7-1" and the actual Table Title is an en space. It seems to drop the charcter in the Source line when the character is an en space, too. I'm using Sierra 10.12.5, InDesign CC 2017, and Word for Mac 15.35.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on Mac 10.11.6, otherwise the same setup. Are you using Bullets and Numbering for the table numbers and for the word Source, or are they typed in manually?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 15, 2017 Jun 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In this instance, they are typed in manually. I've had other books though that this has happened with and Bullets and Numbering were used.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you sure it is InDesign, or could it also be your Word? You can test by pasting the table into anything else that accepts formatted text – TextEdit ought to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think it's Word. I pasted into TextEdit and the same thing happened.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't recreate it on my end. It is a new issue with Sierra, or has this always happened?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm pretty sure it's the en space. I replaced the en space with a regular space and it didn't happen. I reinserted the en space and the next letter dropped out in both Word and TextEdit. It was happening before Sierra (with Yosemite) but I don't remember it happening before Yosemite.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mike, first of all, please accept my apology. I don't know how I tested this yesterday because I closed the files last night (and I did test yesterday) but I tried one more time just to grab screen shots for you, and this time I experienced exactly what you described.

InDesign on El Capitan:

InDesign CCss_006.png

Word:

Microsoft Wordss_001.png

Following up on JongWare's note, here in TextEdit:

TextEditss_001.png

And Excel:

Microsoft Excelss_001.png

Then I tried FrameMaker (Adobe's other page layout application). FrameMaker only runs under Windows, so I have Win 10 installed on my MacBook. They share a clipboard so I kept pasting. This was the first one to work as expected:

VMware Fusionss_001.png

So did Word for Windows:

VMware Fusionss_002.png

This is enough screen shots, but I did paste the table into both versions of Acrobat Pro DC. The Mac version clipped the first character, the Windows version did not. All this confirms your suspicion that the en space is the issue, but I don't know where it leaves you. You are on a Mac, and it seems to be Mac related, but I don't know that we can put the blame on InDesign, since the table pastes as expected in the three Windows applications. All I can do is validate your intuition, and then suggest not using the en space.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your time on this. I don't have much of a choice in using the en space. These are all files that were created some time ago and on the reprints, the authors are requesting tables to be pulled from the book and recreated in Word. I could try a search and replace for the en space as a last resort.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

So for that workflow, I think I'd recommend the same thing. When the author requests a reprint, open the file and use a previously-saved F/C query to replace the en space with a space, copy/paste, close without saving. It would be pretty quick and eliminates the potential for a missing first letter.

And always happy to help, and so sorry to have thrown you off-track yesterday.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines