• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Internet Explorer required as default browser?

Oct 13, 2008 Oct 13, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just spent some time investigating a problem I had with editing topics in a couple of RH projects. I'm using RH7. When I tried to open a topic for editing in the internal editor, RH just hangs and I have to close it.

It's been a while since I was working on these projects, so I tried to figure out what I have changed in the meantime. One thing that occurred to me was that I have changed the default editor from IE 7 to Firefox 3. I changed this back, and I was immediately able to edit the topics.

I tried to find some information about this in the help file (and also searching the forums), but the only thing I found was that IE needs to be installed on the system (which it is). Does it also need to be the default browser?

Regards,
Rannveig Østevik

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rannveig

Did you mean to say default Browser ?

I ask because you said default Editor , and that's a vastly different thing.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, of course I meant to say default *browser* also in the second paragraph.

Regards,
Rannveig/.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again

Just to note that I wasn't trying to pick on you. Some folks do change the editor in RoboHelp and have things like Browser add ins and whatnot, so I wasn't sure.

I don't believe that RoboHelp requires the default browser to be IE. Actually, I can attest to that as my default browser is FF3 and I have no issues editing topics.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems it wasn't the problem, either.

I'm still not able to edit all my topics. I tried to isolate what was the problem with the topics that couldn't be edited, but haven't found out what it is so far. I compared the topics in TextPad and tried to remove parts, and replace them with identical parts from a working topic.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated :-)

Regards,
Rannveig/.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again

If you want, send me one of the errant topics and I'll see if I can edit it in my RH7.

rstone75 (at) kc (dot) rr (dot) com

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick,

Thx for the offer, but it doesn't seem to be necessary.

Before I was able to send the file to you, my computer had a crash. After I had the computer up and running and running again, I'm not able to reproduce the problem, so probably it was related to the problems with my computer.

I'll post back if it occurs again.

Regards,
Rannveig/.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 14, 2008 Oct 14, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,
This my be a little bit off topic, but I have faced a lot issues when I have used FireFox as the default browser. I see only  characters when the help is invoked. The help is deployed on a Unix server and is accessed from a Windows client. Have you seen such a behavior.
Also, with RH 7.0.2 the help is no more context sensitive when open in FireFox. In 7.0.2 when I generate WebHelp and deploy it on a Unix server and call a particular help file form a Windows client, the wrong help page is displayed. When I click help, for a few seconds it points to the correct context sensitive help page, but when the TOC is loaded it goes back to the particular help page's parent folder. For example, I have a book called Window Descriptions and below that I have another topic called Create NE. Now when from the application when I click help for the Create NE page, it opens the Create NE page for a few seconds and after that it dispalys the Window Description page.
Any reason for this to happen. This problem was not there with the earlier version of RoboHelp (7.00.145). Is this a know issue. Any help on how to resolve this would be greatly appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 14, 2008 Oct 14, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
It is off topic and I believe the points have been covered for you elsewhere.

If you have further questions, best to post them under your original post where people can see what has been offered.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp