• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Data Merge - 3 image options for 1 column of data

New Here ,
Jun 15, 2017 Jun 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im trying to create some product range stickers for a flooring client.

One of the columns of data is labeled "Feature" and there is a choice of 3 mutually exclusive features (wool rich OR stain resistant OR soft touch). I have developed a icon for each, but I'm wondering if theres a way to automate my merge so that when the row states "Soft Touch", the soft touch item is placed in... and so on.

Help! thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guide , Jun 16, 2017 Jun 16, 2017

Hi

If I had to do it, without changing anything in the original spreadsheet, I would create a new Excel file for data merging purpose, that would retrieve the values from the original spreadsheet.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This may be possible via scripting, so depending upon the answers here, you may wish to post in the scripting forum too. GREP can help with formatting depending upon the exclusive features, but it cannot add or remove data (I don't believe). So I don't know if that is a viable route or not.

This is entirely possible using a merging plug-in such as InData from Em Software. A touch of a learning curve, but it is reasonably easy to write the conditional merge. I really never use ID's built-in merging except for forum help.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can use file paths for images in your source file.

The field name for this image column has to start with an @.

Example:

@Features

D:\project\images\wool.gif

D:\project\images\soft.gif

D:\project\images\stain.gif

D:\project\images\stain.gif

D:\project\images\wool.gif

Fenja

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 16, 2017 Jun 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks both.

I should probably say that the spreadsheet is a master document already widely used within our client's company. As such I'm hoping theres a way of doing this without editing the spreadsheet data (other than changing the headers to @images...).

Ill look into conditional merging.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

If I had to do it, without changing anything in the original spreadsheet, I would create a new Excel file for data merging purpose, that would retrieve the values from the original spreadsheet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Vinny's suggestion is a good way to leave the master spreadsheet untouched. From there, in Excel using fenjas suggestion to prepare column data for merging graphic files are pretty much it. I don't think you really need to pursue conditional merging...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If one is going to use a copy of the spreadsheet and add the image column, then do use two sheets. On one of the sheets, it would be the data as given. Add the column for the image path/name. Use a formula to read the appropriate field for the Feature column and add the name of the image appropriate for the requisite image.

Data merge cannot use the value in the formula if I recall. But if you copy that sheet and use the paste button in the second sheet, one can choose to paste only the Values, which means that the formula is them just plain text. That in turn can be copied to a text editor and saved as a tab-delimited file that ID will make use of.

One more thing, if you desire to avoid the whole individual frame for each record thing. There is a script for in-line merging. That will place the entire merge into a single frame that, depending on whether one is using a primary frame or not, will flow automatically, creating the pages on the fly. If you are not using Primary frames, then you would just auto-flow as per normal.

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines