Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problem with Lock files NOT being generated

Community Beginner ,
Jun 14, 2017 Jun 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Our Workgroup uses Indesign CC2017 and works off an AFP server. We have been having issues with IDLK files not being generated consistently. Some people will be able to generate one, while others won't and it's very sporadic. We have about 10 people in our group, so not locking down these files is an issue with overwriting of files.

Is this an Indesign issue, or a server issue?

Thank you in advance.

Tom

[Moved from the Lounge (which is where you can "connect with your peers" from across all of Adobe's products for conversations that don't directly relate to help and support) to a product-specific support forum - moderator]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 14, 2017 Jun 14, 2017

I’m going to disagree with Jeff here. While it’s important to make sure the network is robust enough to handle multiple users there should be no reason not to work directly from one. In fact, most collaborative workflows require it.

Are you on Mac or Windows or a mix of both? I would talk to the IT folks and make sure the server permissions are set properly for each user.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You really should not be working directly off the server. I've run into all kinds of interesting issues working off of servers and external disks. Work on the files on your local computer and replace on the server when you're done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m going to disagree with Jeff here. While it’s important to make sure the network is robust enough to handle multiple users there should be no reason not to work directly from one. In fact, most collaborative workflows require it.

Are you on Mac or Windows or a mix of both? I would talk to the IT folks and make sure the server permissions are set properly for each user.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm! Live and learn.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 15, 2017 Jun 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello,

I know that working directly off an afp or smb server is asking for trouble sometimes. But, given the amount of hands that have access to our ad documents, the overwriting of files by saving to hard drives is too real a possibility.

We work on macs on use an AFP server for our documents and images. You are probably correct with the permissions problems, and will let our IT department know.

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines