• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

cannot move layers or objects

Engaged ,
Jun 12, 2017 Jun 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alright, I am trying to stay calm, but this is just $)*&# STUPID!!!

I had 2017.1 and opened an existing file I created (do not remember having any issues creating it) I wanted to change a headline and an image.

Changed the headline and the image, but now I cannot move them anywhere in the project window. I have the "selection tool" and go to the object to move it.  it does not move.

Then I try to change the layers, move one object below the other and nothing happens.  It selects it, but it does not move.

yes, I selected the name not the box, yes everything is unlocked.

I even uninstalled 2017 and when the 2015 version.  same problem.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is possible that the file you're working on is corrupt. Try creating a new file. Copy and paste the objects from your file into the new file and let me know if the problem persists.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why don't start by trashing preferences?

Troubleshooting 101: Replace, or "trash" your InDesign preferences

You can also share the file via dropbox so that we can take a look.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You know what... there is a similar thread on this topic from earlier today. You might want to keep an eye on it—one of the Adobe Staff gave some troubleshooting advice and if it solves the problem, you might want to try it as well.

Unable to move objects with mouse

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A key piece of information would be to know if this is happening with just one file or with multiple files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 13, 2017 Jun 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

happens to all indesign files.

I did the prefs thing, cleaned the computer's cache using onyx, brought the files in as a new file, created a new file...

It works for awhile, but after I work on it, close it, come back to it a few times, it is back to limited ability.

And it is not just moving layers, I cannot move objects in the file, like a text element, it will not move from the location unless I use the arrow keys, the mouse does nothing.

Shutting the app down does not work, turning off the computer works for a little bit, then it acts up.

Now I do allot of stuff in indesign, so this is a new issue for me, and had no trouble before.  Nothing new on the computer.

Even had no issues running after effects, premiere pro, illustrator, and photoshop at the same time as indesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I do not mean to be a pain or impatient, as I also tutor others and tell them to be calm everything will eventually work out...

I understand their frustration as I have been in their shoes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have the GPU Performance setting enabled? If so, try disabling it (Preferences > GPU Performance). I've heard that it can cause these kinds of slowdowns.

Reinstalling the app will not help anything.  Better would be to log in to your computer as a test user, and see if the problem persists. It likely will be fine; in that case it's something corrupt in your User settings.

AM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

huh....

thinking...

I do remember premiere telling me once in awhile that a project was last opened using the GPU, but cannot do it now....  so I have to find out where it is to turn it on and/or off.

AH!!  NO GPU performance setting on Indesign 2015. So, no, not on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

NO GPU performance setting on Indesign 2015.

It depends on the version of 2015. It was added to the 2015.4 update.

InDesign CCss_008.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 14, 2017 Jun 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it only allowed me to download 2015.0  nowhere have i seen 2015.4 to download.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi byers-video,

Please check if you have an update available for the downloaded CC 2015 version. See attached screenshot:

Capture.JPG

Regards,

Om

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HA!!!  I think I am doing it.  thanks for the image, i knew where to go.  never thought of that.

Ok downloaded, turned off GPU, redid settings, prefs, and such. still not working.

it's ok. Thanks for trying.

Adobe is not for everyone, there are other apps out there that work. I am using Davinci Resolve instead of Premiere now and been testing out other apps just like photoshop.  Just really loved Indesign and the others, Illustrator is my last Adobe app I am using. Stopped using dreamweaver the beginning of the year due to issues with that one.  Feels wrong spending all that money on the CC account to use one app.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Feels wrong spending all that money on the CC account to use one app.

You can always switch to a single-app subscription next time you are up for renewal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 15, 2017 Jun 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, so being frustrated again and a client sent me an indesign file. I have to use indesign. Opened the file, no go.

So I opened ONYX (Titanium Software - OnyX) and deleted the Boot, Kernal and extensions, international preferences, cups jobs, qt components, audio components, and other system components CACHE.

Restarted and now I can move things. But it does not last. So one of those is getting stuffed with a corrupt file or something.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 15, 2017 Jun 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

sorry to hear it's still happening.

Did you try logging in as a test user to see if the problem persists?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines