• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to make my dirty messy grunge cut through any and all layers to transparency in Photoshop CC 2017?

Participant ,
Jun 15, 2017 Jun 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey everyone - I think this must be easy but it has swallowed me whole.  I'm working in Photoshop CC 2017 and want to cut through all layers to transparency with a messy dirty grunge brush layer. I custom apply over a jpeg layer (for simplicity) ((eventually I may have many layers to cut through but trying to explain this as simply as possible))  Maybe I haven't made the bottom layer (jpeg screenshot) transparency supported or something - but otherwise I am driving myself to the loony bin.......  I'm dragging in a jpeg file as the "bottom" and not Background Layer.  Applying a brush grunge layer above that and then using Blending mode to see my grunge turn into transparent checkered transparent (seemingly).  But it sits on top of the jpeg layer.  When I slide in a color layer underneath the jpeg layer there is no color showing thru the grunge.  Hopefully someone can save me and I will owe them my... sanity?  Thanks so much for any and all help -  I can take screen shots if that helps...

Thanks so much,

Garry

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 15, 2017 Jun 15, 2017

A blending mode just changes the way the layer with the brush stroke blends with the layer below (i.e. your jpeg layer). It does not make the layer below transparent.

It sounds like you need to add a layer mask to your jpeg layer and paint your brush stroke onto that. Where the mask is white the jpeg will show, where it is black it will become transparent.

If you want to apply the same effect to several layers - put them in a group and add a mask to the group

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having a hard time following what you are wanting to accomplish. Could you maybe provide a screenshot and maybe an example or two of what you're wanting as a result?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for responding.  I'll include some screenshots of a couple of crude example of what I am aiming for.  And that basically is providing an image to be printed onto a T-shirt and that has some creative transparent aging effects (grunge) that allows the T-shirt color show through the image.  Hope that makes sense.  My PSD image shows some test grunge showing transparency through blending on the "grunge" layer - but that layer and effect is fixed on top of the layer underneath.  I can slide the underneath layer position around and the hopeful poke through layer above it remains fixed without penetrating the layer beneath.  That probably makes no sense.....

Red T-shirt.pngGreen T-Shirt.png Blue T-shirt.png

My Jpeg.pngMy Jpeg with test grunge effects showing Transparency.pngMy psd Layers.png

The first U.S. flag above is a jpeg brought into Photoshop CC 2017.  The second U.S. Flag shows transparency from my Layer Style > Layer Blending Mode - "layer 1" knockout  to transparency.  But it is fixed above layer "US Flag 2".  When I add a layer below that to check it with a solid color just to see the color come through - it does not.  The grunge in the top 3 t-shirt examples show the "background" or t-shirt color coming through.  Hope this makes sense.......  Thank you for any and all help and suggestions

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

now that I can see what you are doing :

When you put the T shirt layer at the bottom to check, just make it a background layer. The knockout will stop there

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Wow davescm - That did the trick!  You have saved me.  Thank you all and if you have other suggestions I'm all ears - now I don't have to jump into illustrator - quite yet...........  Thank you to WILDCAT54  and JonathanArias if you guys have more ideas and hints or suggestions let me know!

Thanks very very much!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

want to take screenshots so we can see what you are doing and better understand the effect you want to create? showing steps helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A blending mode just changes the way the layer with the brush stroke blends with the layer below (i.e. your jpeg layer). It does not make the layer below transparent.

It sounds like you need to add a layer mask to your jpeg layer and paint your brush stroke onto that. Where the mask is white the jpeg will show, where it is black it will become transparent.

If you want to apply the same effect to several layers - put them in a group and add a mask to the group

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines