Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Latest release of Windows 10

LEGEND ,
Jun 14, 2017 Jun 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Everyone,

You may now have downloaded the latest version of Windows 10, which is a major update of the OS and not just routine patches. For users of Creative Cloud it's early to say if there will be issues, but the timing is unfortunate as nine Adobe products received updates overnight, including Photoshop, and it's never good to have so many variables changing at the same time.

The new Windows 10 is well worth having, the start menu has been reworked to allow apps to be grouped into folders, the Edge browser has been significantly enhanced and feels much quicker than Chrome or Firefox. Microsoft have also converted Defender into a full Anti-Viral program . Not so sure that adding a 3D capability to Windows Paint will help many here, but it's interesting.

It may be useful if you check your SSD after this update as Microsoft decided to leave the old system folders intact in order to permit users to revert back to the pre-update version. In my case this swallowed up 32GB of space. You will find you have a Windows_Old folder and it's tempting to just delete it, but this is not the right thing to do. Instead run 'Disk Cleanup' , you can find it by typing the name into Cortana. You need to do this twice, once for a general cleanup and then for the system files. It will tell you there how much space is being wasted. For me this took well over an hour, but it's worth being patient. In addition the disk needs defragmentation.

Hope this helps anyone wondering why their SSD has suddenly got 10% smaller.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Terri+Stevens  wrote

In addition the disk needs defragmentation.

I thought that SSDs should not be defragmented.

I guess it is a controversial subject with different opinions:

should ssd drives be defragmented

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 15, 2017 Jun 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bob,

I know there is debate about optimising SSD devices. Where I work we use Raxco Perfect Disk  which does defrag SSDs

Award-Winning PC & Server Performance Utilities | Raxco Software

My fear is it will wear the SSD out before it's time as there is a finite limit to the number of writes possible on SSDs -it's in the hundreds of thousands though. I'm not a techie though and got overruled on that one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Terri,

There's no necessary to defrag SSDs. And I've take a look to the web site from Raxco.

I found the following in the program description:

"... Solid State Drives are not affected by file fragmentation like traditional electromechanical disk drives. As such, it will leave files in a fragmented state while consolidating free space into large pieces."

The Raxco Software doesn't do a defragmentation on SSDs. Only the free space were consolidated.

Axel

My System: Intel i7-8700K - 64GB RAM - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060 - Windows 10 Pro 22H2 -- LR-Classic 13.2 - Photoshop 25.6 - Nik Collection 6.9 - PureRAW 4 - Topaz Photo AI 2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Axel. To be honest I've never seen much use in the commercial defragmenters, they make all kinds of claims about performance enhancement on hard disks and probably do if you use instruments to benchmark, but you don't really sense the performance is better. At work I have no choice as the IT people decide the policy, but at home I just use the defragger that comes with Windows 10-seems to do the job without the flashy interfaces and runs just once a week.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use Raxco PerfectDisk on all of my computers, but I haven't upgraded any to SSD yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Axel+Matt  wrote

As such, it will leave files in a fragmented state while consolidating free space into large pieces.

Maybe I'm dense, but I don't get it. How is it possible to "consolidate" free space without touching the files? Can you now move empty space around, and I just missed that breakthrough?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/D+Fosse  wrote

Can you now move empty space around, and I just missed that breakthrough?

There _has_ to be a Trump joke there somewhere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor.Dennis  wrote

https://forums.adobe.com/people/D+Fosse   wrote

Can you now move empty space around, and I just missed that breakthrough?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Trevor.Dennis  wrote

There was indeed. There's no way to avoid it - everything is a Trump joke these days. Even the things that aren't really funny, which is most of them.

I'm watching the Simpsons for reality check now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Terri

I updated a few days ago and ran into a couple of small issues which I resolved. Posted here:

Windows 10 Creator

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dave,

Some really useful information there . I'll be checking on my screen calibrations today. So far I have not seen any problems with Photoshop in fact it might be slightly more responsive. Can't wait to play with Maya rival Paint 3D lol Watch out for 'Terri Story' coming soon. Tom Hanks is interested in the project.

Any idea where Adobe have posted what's in the Photoshop update yesterday? Usually they just append to the previous list but it's just showing the changes made in May.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now that will be interesting. I wonder which ACPs take which part ....

As far as the Photoshop upgrade - I don't know what it contained, I skipped over the small notice in the desktop app thinking I could read the update details later - but they don't seem to be posted. It must be small though as the system info is still showing r.252

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Obviously Trevor has to be Buzz Lightyear, type casting I know- 'To New Zealand and Beyond'. Not sure I can afford to fly him over though.  I do have someone in Mind for Mr Potato Head , but couldn't possibly mention any names lol I'm gonna be Bo Peep of course. Anyone want the part of Stinky Pete?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines