• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

EPS export creating CMYK and Spot

New Here ,
Jun 15, 2017 Jun 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I'm exporting a page to EPS for print (since none of our printers can seem to bring themselves to use anything beyond AI), and it contains black and 3 spot colors, but when I open the EPS within AI to check everything, it has converted half of the image into CMYK. I have tried changing around all the settings in EPS export, tried changing the transparency flatting from the page dialog, have checked the separations (which are perfect in ID), and have run out of ideas. Anyone have any tips? Oh and I have also created a brand new document and dropped all the content in and the same thing happening on export.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 15, 2017 Jun 15, 2017

Illustrator is NOT a program to edit or open EPS or PDF files made outside Illustrator or saved without the capability to edit in Illustrator.

Don't use EPS in any case in modern days as it an outdated file type. Use PDF/X-4 instead.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would forget EPS which is a very out-of-date format. It doesn't even support transparency, for example.

Instead, export your InDesign file as a PDF (Print) file using the PDF/X-4 preset. That will preserve all the spot colors.

You can check it in Acrobat by opening up Print Production panel > Output Preview.

Then place it in Illustrator. In Illustrator, DON'T OPEN the PDF. Choose File > Place to place the PDF as a graphic. You can check the color separations in Window > Separation Preview.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illustrator is NOT a program to edit or open EPS or PDF files made outside Illustrator or saved without the capability to edit in Illustrator.

Don't use EPS in any case in modern days as it an outdated file type. Use PDF/X-4 instead.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 02, 2021 Dec 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an original illustrator file and I have changed the colors to PMS spot and saved as a PDF/X4 format but when my printer opens the file it does not see the spot colors. What did I do wrong?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 02, 2021 Dec 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is a four year old thread relating to InDesign. I suggest posting your issue in the Illustrator forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's an idea...find a new printer. Barring that, stop opening those EPS files in Illustrator.

If you really want to check them, place them in a new InDesign file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 16, 2017 Jun 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you share the files? Although there can be some anomalies with color separation between .pdf, .eps and .ps, for the most part the results should be consistent. The problem most likely is with the graphic or image rather than the export format.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines