• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What kind of hardware runs InDesign best?

Contributor ,
Jun 16, 2017 Jun 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use InDesign for one product: a large book with lots of diagrams, nice layout and lots of cross references which I update every two years or so.

I currently run ID on two different systems

- MacBook Pro 13-inch Retina Core i5 2 core 8GB Late 2013, SSD (when I'm on the road). 1,2 Core Geekbench 3: 3100,6400

- iMac 27-inch Core i7 4 core 8GB Mid 2010, SSD (at home). 1,4 core GeekBench 3: 2400,8700

ID is rather slow, what especially bothers me constantly is the lag between typing and screen updates. Somewhere in the coming year I expect to move to newer (Mac) hardware. I was thinking if temporarily using a 2013 Mac Pro would help me, but the single core speed of that machine is not much better than the MacBook Pro I have. So, my first question was: would using such a system actually help? Or does ID only use a single core? Looking at Activity Monitor, it seems ID is single-core.

So, should I look for the highest single-core score I can find? Anything else that helps ID perform better than sluggishly?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Hi Gerben,

Would recommend a multi-core processor. Below is the link for complete system requirements for InDesign:

System requirements for Adobe InDesign CC for Mac and Windows OS

Regards,

Om

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Gerben,

Would recommend a multi-core processor. Below is the link for complete system requirements for InDesign:

System requirements for Adobe InDesign CC for Mac and Windows OS

Regards,

Om

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I don't think single-core systems still exist these days, and multi-core helps in that ID doesn't need to share a core and can use one in full. But that doesn't mean ID is multi-core and that having more cores increases performance.

If ID is capable of using multiple cores, shouldn't that show up in Activity Monitor?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Gerben,

InDesign is capable of using multiple cores. However I'll try to get more information on this and let you know.

Regards,

Om

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have never rand adobe tools with less than 16gb of ram.   Once you are doing a big layout, links illustrator and photoshop files you will want lots of RAM so can bounce back and forth from application to application as you are editing from your layout in inDesign. The more RAM the better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I'm running ID (which is the only tool I'm running, no other Adobe tools), from my 8GB there is still much memory to spare (as shown in Activity Monitor). Clean boot, max memory available, still sluggish and delay with typing in window that shows layout (story window is fast).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 19, 2017 Jun 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Gerben,

Please try to disable the GPU performance from the InDesign preferences and then check if that makes any difference. If yes, do share the graphic card used in the machine and check if it has the most updated driver.

Regards,

Om

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 21, 2017 Jun 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is interesting. My MacBook Pro Retina (haven't tested the other one yet) initially said "Compatible GPU and Monitor not detected".

A bit of investigating brings to light:

- MacBook Pro Retina, MacBook screen only: ID reports "GPU and monitor detected"

- MacBook Pro Retina, 2nd display attached via mDSP-to-DP cable: ID reports "GPU and monitor detected"

- MacBook Pro Retina, clamshell mode with same display: ID reports "GPU and monitor not detected"

- MacBook Pro Retina, clamshell mode with same display, ID started when MBP open: ID reports "GPU and monitor detected"

- Same: ID started: GPU and compatible monitor detected, but I can't switch GPU performance on/off (greyed out)

Anyway, while ID seems confused about the GPU and monitor, these are the facts

MBP Retina Late 2013

Graphics on my MBP Retina: Intel Iris 4.1 INTEL-10.25.13, 1536MB (shared) graphics memory. I would be surprised if this isn't the most updated driver (given that it is the most up-to-date version of macOS Sierra).

The external monitor is a brand new DELL U2715H Display.

ID on the iMac reports: "Compatible GPU and Monitor not detected".

- ATI Radeon HD 5750 Version 4.1 ATI-1.51.8, 1024MB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 21, 2017 Jun 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Gerben,

That could be possible. GPU is a new feature in InDesign and it does need specific hardware for functioning. Here's a link for details: Adobe InDesign GPU Performance feature enhancements

Regards,

Om

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines