• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flash Pro CC will not open in Windows 10?

Engaged ,
Jun 16, 2017 Jun 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since AnimateCC will not support AS2 files, I have installed an older version of flash to open them and compile them to facilitate converting old assets into HTML5 Canvas versions.

Odd that AnimateCC makes this obvious task more challenging by not supporting older scripts, did no one anticipate that users would want to update old assets to a modern format?

Typical Adobe, no matter, I'll just open an older version of the program and... d'Oh!

As soon as it begins building the workspace, it vanishes without so much as a whimper:

I have tried opening it with every available compatibility Windows has to offer only to get the same results; no running program and once again, instead of getting work done, I am trying to trick and goad an Adobe product into being a helpful tool.

And once again I find myself exasperated and here on the forum to appeal to anyone who has special knowledge, secret insider information or even a good magic spell to cast that might coax an Adobe product into actually doing what they seem to imply it can.

Any ideas, anyone? Thank you so much in advance. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jun 16, 2017 Jun 16, 2017

On the question of why CC and later doesn't support AS2, it's because the application was rewritten as a 64 bit application. Many features were dropped for a while, and gradually added back in over time. It took a very long time for pinned scripts to come back!

Given that as part of your CC subscription you can download and use CS6 to maintain your AS2 project, or to look at your old scripts as you think about bringing them into JavaScript in a Canvas project, there isn't a great need for Animate

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The last version of Flash to support AS2 is CS6, not CC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On the question of why CC and later doesn't support AS2, it's because the application was rewritten as a 64 bit application. Many features were dropped for a while, and gradually added back in over time. It took a very long time for pinned scripts to come back!

Given that as part of your CC subscription you can download and use CS6 to maintain your AS2 project, or to look at your old scripts as you think about bringing them into JavaScript in a Canvas project, there isn't a great need for Animate CC 2017 to directly support AS2.

Now, if you're saying that you can't even open an FLA to get at the graphical assets, there's something wrong with the file. Do you have an example file that we could try to open?

One other complication to know about is that CreateJS is a JavaScript library that mimic AS3 in many ways, if you want to update AS2 to CreateJS you'll have more work to do than you might think.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Colin+Holgate  wrote

On the question of why CC and later doesn't support AS2, it's because the application was rewritten as a 64 bit application.

Emphasis on the "rewritten" part, not so much the "64 bit" part. A 64-bit app could have supported AS2 perfectly well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines