• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unknown tags in RoboHelp 2017

Participant ,
Jun 16, 2017 Jun 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have added some tags in HTML view in RoboHelp 2017 so that the content enclosed by the tags can be identified by the application associated with the Help project. RoboHelp has not removed the tags in the Responsive HTML5 output, which is great. However, in the Design view, they are highlighted in red with an "Unknown Tag" popup. My questions: can I get RoboHelp to accept these tags, without highlighting them, as it is concerning to see the tags in the Design view? Secondly: if RoboHelp will not accept the tags, would it be OK to leave them in, or am I risking creating problems by leaving them in. Ultimately, I need to add them to hundreds of topics. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jun 16, 2017 Jun 16, 2017

But did you try what I suggested as far as turning them off in the editor?

I would think there wouldn't be any option to turn them off if they were going to be detrimental.

The way I see it is as long as they end up performing the function you need and survive the trip into the output, there isn't anything to worry about. RoboHelp is a very flexible application and it allows working in a multitude of ways. So they have provided you some ways to continue working as you need with minimal distractio

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried using comments in mine and it works, except that it duplicates them. That is, I'll create a comment, then save and close it, then later look at the HTML for that topic and the comment is repeated numerous times.

When I put some Google Analytics script in it, I got the red box telling me something was wrong, but it still worked. If you mean red font in the HTML code, that means there is an error that you need to fix (like if you forget to close a tag properly).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I'll try adding comments, but it will be a problem if they are duplicated, so don't think this will help. The tags look OK in HTML view, and only show up in red in the Design view.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you saying the whole tag shows up in design view, or just a red box? If the whole tag shows up, it will probably show up when you generate the help. Click in the topic, then on the Edit tab, click View Item to see if it appears. Even that doesn't always work, though. I had some topics with errant margin tags, making some bullets indent that shouldn't have been indented. The View function didn't show it. The only way to see it was to generate the help file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The whole tag shows up in Design view, but does not show when you preview the topic as you describe. It does not show when you generate the Help either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen shot? Or is this confidential material protected by Russian hackers?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's an example from the Design view:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Had a problem posting it, sorry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cool, thanks for sharing that.

In RoboHelp 2017 release, try clicking the Edit tab followed by the Show/Hide button and choosing "Unknown Tags" and you should be able to hide those during editing.

FOA.png

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Rick - this doesn't really have anything to do with HTML5 Layouts does it? Maybe it needs moving?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not really. Totally an editor thing as far as I can see.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are there likely to be any unwanted repercussions caused by having unknown tags? Ideally, I'd like to be able to add tags in a way which does not upset RoboHelp. Apologies for for adding a discussion in the wrong area.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As long as things generate and look fine on the other side of the generation process, I'm unaware of any repercussions.

Then again, standard disclaimers apply. As the car dealers always say. Your mileage may vary.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your comments. Does anyone have any suggestions on getting RoboHelp to accept these tags gracefully please? I thought about adding them as bookmarks, which may be a possible solution, but would add unwanted complexity.

Cheers,

Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If they're for identifying versions, why not use Conditional Build Tags (CBT)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Curious about what you have seen so far and what isn't working for you?

What seems "unpeaceful" about things? Is RoboHelp somehow "fighting" with you?

Sorry, but I'm confused by your answer. You seemed to say early on that aside from seeing them in Design View, they worked. Is this not the case?

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They appear to work, however I am concerned that RoboHelp views them as "Unknown", This rings alarm bells for me as the application appears not to view them as standard components. I don't want to commit to using this method of adding tags if there will be problems at a later stage. When is ever good to see items highlighted in red in an application?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But did you try what I suggested as far as turning them off in the editor?

I would think there wouldn't be any option to turn them off if they were going to be detrimental.

The way I see it is as long as they end up performing the function you need and survive the trip into the output, there isn't anything to worry about. RoboHelp is a very flexible application and it allows working in a multitude of ways. So they have provided you some ways to continue working as you need with minimal distractions.

I've been using the tool for more than 20 years. I can't say I've ever encountered additional tagging that broke things. But then again, I don't know it all and as I said earlier. Your own mileage may vary. It's possible we could encounter a new situation where things break. You don't know until you try.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm amused by your comment about RoboHelp viewing the tags as unknown.

In your initial post you openly stated that you created these tags yourself in an effort to identify your application. That statement alone suggests that you are doing something outside the known and normal tagging RoboHelp is aware of. Yet, you are concerned that RoboHelp is reporting an unknown tag via the editor.

2017-06-14_14-33-16.png

I suppose my question here is to ask how you are expecting RoboHelp to react to unknown tags created for unusual purposes?

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"When is ever good to see items highlighted in red in an application?"

When you make a typo in the HTML code that is going to mess up the whole topic and take hours to fix, is one reason.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 19, 2017 Jun 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for your comments. You can turn off the tags in the editor, on a topic-by-topic basis, so it looks like this method of adding tags will meet our purposes.

Best wishes,

Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Can you please post an example of one of the tags? I have an idea but want to test on my end before sharing.

Thanks... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp