• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Corrupted CPD file in RH7 (again)

New Here ,
Oct 13, 2008 Oct 13, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had this ongoing problem that rears its ugly head every two months. My CPD file continues to corrupt when it reaches 1500 KB. This project was originally built in X5 and then we upgraded to RH7. I initially would compress this file using MS Access. Then when it grew to 1500 KB it would corrupt again. So two months ago I deleted the CPD file and reopened the project using the XPJ file. All the links were broken. I painstakingly fixed all the links over a two-day period- thinking this would fix it once and for all. Now it's corrupted again. What can I do to fix this permanently? Why is it continuing to corrupt? Is it necessary to compress this file periodically?

I also tried renaming the the CPD and XPJ files and then opening the project using the HHP file. This also leaves the project with many broken links- but maybe these links are broken because RH is not seeing the folders for these topics in RH but they exist in Windows Explorer (I have Peter's instructions on remedying this). Again, my main objective is to find a permanent solution to this problem- if one exists. Thanks-

Cheers

Rich

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Oct 14, 2008 Oct 14, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Possible issues (particularly within an individual session):

Heavy cut & paste operations
Many Preview instances
Many generate operations
Exiting too soon after a generate operation
Many DHTML operations (popups, etc.)
Imports (Word, PDF, Excel, etc.), especially with unorthodox formatting
Many conditional tags
Shaky source control configuration
Invasive anti-virus product
Hidden network-share configurations
Feature overload (Glossary, browse sequences, drop-downs, expanded text, image maps, etc., etc., etc.)

Good luck,
Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 16, 2008 Oct 16, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good news! I think I got this fixed. I deleted the CPD and XPJ files and reopened the project using the HHP file. I also deleted a residual folder from X5 that was causing the links to break. So the project rebuilt itself without a single broken link. Still not sure why this is happening in RH7. I'm working off my local drive.

Cheers

Rich

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 15, 2008 Oct 15, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have the Technical Communication Suite, at least you'll be able to create a new project without having to recover all those files you describe. Of course, RoboHelp should not be doing what you describe, as it is.

hwyl fawr

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 17, 2008 Oct 17, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Rich -

Great! So, can you share the name of the folder you deleted?

Regards,
GEWB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 20, 2008 Oct 20, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

GEWB,

Well, the folder I deleted was a user-created one that my boss had made. But here is an example: the project had a folder called "Authorizations" in Project Manager. But when I opened the project folder in Explorer, there was the Authorizations folder, but then another duplicate folder with that name was inside a folder called "Online Help". This Online Help folder had just odds and ends thrown in it. What it would do though is cause RH to break the links to the legitimate topics in the Authorizations folder and this folder would not appear when I rebuilt the project. Because this folder existed on two levels, it seemed to confuse RH so it would leave it out all together. When I deleted this unnecessary folder, the project rebuilt without any problems. So I think it's important if you inherit a project to make sure there aren't any residual folders that might conflict with existing ones. Hope this helps-

All the best,
Rich

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 20, 2008 Oct 20, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Hello Rich -

Thanks for sharing with the forum! Motto:

MISS / KISS

(make it stupid simple / keep it stupid simple)

Regards,
GEWB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp