Exit

indesign artwork finalise process

Explorer ,
Jun 17, 2017 Jun 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am designing a side for a vehicle wrap: 321cm x 262 cm final size

I have to export to Id from photoshop to add bleed.

How do i do so?

How i processed images for indesign from photoshop

I open the photo made some camera raw edit, the dragged it into the 900ppi doc.

For the 72ppi one, i changed resolution to 300ppi, check resample, and dragged to 900 ppi doc.

Am I doing it right? Thanks so much.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Valorous Hero , Jun 18, 2017 Jun 18, 2017

Personally, I would disregard most everything you've read in this thread. I would very strongly recommend you talk now with whoever is going to do the print. Their advice for file creation and prep is going to be very different from what you are reading here.

For instance, most every company I have dealt with for vehicle wraps will want an AI file or a CorelDraw file. Some will accept a PDF, but most all will prefer the two file formats mentioned.

Bleed. Bleed is often in the 4" range, some more,

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you need bleed for this purpose? Check with the printer. You don't need a resolution if 300PPI for something that's being viewed from a distance, probably between 50 and 100PPI would be OK. 

You Place your PSD images in InDesign (not Export from Photoshop). Work in RGB color mode.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you be a little clearer please?

When you say 300ppi, I am assuming u are talking about the photo i took.

But what do i do with the 900ppi final artwork, is it ok? Whats ur advice?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If instead i work in Ps, what resolution should i make my final document?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The "Effective Resolution" of the image you Placed in InDesign can have a resolution between 50 and 100PPI.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If instead i work in Ps, what resolution should i make my final document?

thnx for help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My earlier answer about image resolution is the same whether you work in Photoshop or InDesign.

I suggest you take this Lynda.com online video tutorial (you can get a 30-day free trial), then return to this forum with specific questions if anything needs clarifying.

InDesign CC 2017 Essential Training

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok last question,

Will a photo from a 14MP be ok to use or even less?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 18, 2017 Jun 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Presumably you mean 14MB.

Is this image to cover the whole area, or are you having, say, the image plus a background colour with perhaps additional text added?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The camera is 14 megapixels..not 14mb in size.

The image will take 3/4 of the whole.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What will the other quarter be?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Other small photos and text, logo, icons etc..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be best to use InDesign and to assemble the items there. Set up a new document to the size you want and place the images and logos, and add the text. Work in RGB color mode and ask your printer what type of PDF they want. If you can't find that information and you think it's going to be printed on an inkjet, choose High Quality Print from the InDesign Acrobat PDF Presets.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HEY!!!!

I asked you if the image from a 14 mp camera operating 3/4 will be ok?????

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your InDesign new document panel should look something like this:

Screen Shot.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The best answer was in Derek's first reply. "Check with the printer." No one knows your printer's requirements better that your printer.

I should also mention that most of the people working on this forum are volunteers. We get paid nothing! We're just sharing our knowledge to help Adobe users.

Screaming (in ALL CAPS) "HEY!!!!" and "REPLY" is uncalled for and totally unacceptable. We are here to help people, not to get screamed at.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe you do not know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone here know exactly how your printer is outputting this job?

No!

Does anyone know what machinery your printer is using?

No!

Does anyone know if your printer has any special requirements?

No!

Instead of having us guess exactly what your printer needs, call your printer. It's the best way to make sure your job comes out exactly the way you want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually yes to all. You came late, so chill. Just because you are old, does not mean you know everything or you are 'expert'.

You did not have to guess. Just drop down your ego and say ' I do not know, sorry'. This will do the job. This is what I learnt in my 22 years on this earth. Maybe you should something that is gonna make you more mature and not richer or famous.

[Moderator note: JW's comment was accurate: you had not shared any of those details, and as they are the salient points to answer your questions, he was entirely within "bound" to comment as he did. And there was nothing rude nor condescending in his post ... a simple, direct communication on the matters needing answers from someone with more experience and knowledge.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Check with the printer."

Thats all you could reply. You could save your time by not replying. Forums are meant to help and clarify, not shy away or pretend YOU are an expert but "Check with the printer."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

3/4 will be ok?????

At 3/4 the width (240.75cm) the maximum res from 14MP would be 46ppi.

Just a note on the math. You are mixing units—centimeters for the output dimensions and inches for the resolution (pixels per inch). To get the camera's native resolution for a given width, first convert centimeters to inches.

So, 321cm x .75= 240.75cm width, 240.75cm=94.785 inches. You get the ppi by dividing the camera's horizontal pixel dimension by 94.785.

4400/94.785=46.42

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Personally, I would disregard most everything you've read in this thread. I would very strongly recommend you talk now with whoever is going to do the print. Their advice for file creation and prep is going to be very different from what you are reading here.

For instance, most every company I have dealt with for vehicle wraps will want an AI file or a CorelDraw file. Some will accept a PDF, but most all will prefer the two file formats mentioned.

Bleed. Bleed is often in the 4" range, some more, some less. But it will depend on whether this is a full-body wrap. It can take this amount on a full-body wrap to account for the installer when the vinyl stretches around the body of the vehicle. On partial wraps, the bleed is often less, but I have never seen less than an inch.

Resolution. 720 dpi is common for 1/4-scale file creation. Some target 100 dpi at 100% scale. Never seen less. Many target 150 dpi at 100% scale. The only time I have seen less than 100 dpi at 100% scale are bus wraps and tractor/trailer wraps.

Just some of the recommendations I have had. But as recommended above: Do ask the company doing the printing and installing. It is never too soon to talk with them--best before you even start!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.

Can you tell me in what situation should I process image with resample option ON?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you tell me in what situation should I process image with resample option ON?

There are endless threads on the topic—there are very few cases where upsampling would have any benefit to image quality. There may be a case where the printer demands a minimum res and you will be forced to upsample in order to get through their preflight, but that won't improve image quality.

For improved image quality, the only option would be to move to a higher resolution camera—you have to quadruple the camera res to double the pixels per inch. Canon's current highend DSLR is at 50mp, which would get you 92ppi over 94".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines