• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop opens PNG files as PSD Recovered files in a new Photoshop application window

Explorer ,
Jun 18, 2017 Jun 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi,

I have a Bug in Photoshop files.

My operating system is Windows 10

Since the last Photoshop update that was in-14/06/17

there is a bug in the application:

- when I open a PNG file that was generated from my Photoshop application a new Photoshop application opens with the file as PSD file with the label - Recovered.

and

- if I double click/open with the right click menu a PSD file, it opens as the last file I used and not as it self.

- the only way to open a PSD file that will include the correct layers is from the application with open.

- it can open many application windows and in each I can open documents files in tabs

photoshop app - bug.png

in this image you can see 2 windows at the bottom and each one if a Photoshop application open with tabs of its own

any Ideas why this happen and what can be done to correct this?

I appreciate your answer

thanx

🙂

ilil

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 18, 2017 Jun 18, 2017

Have you tried what I wrote? "Try Resetting you preferences. If you can still open more than one instance of Photoshop Uninstall Photoshop download and use Adobe Cleaner to wipeout all traces of Photoshop then install Photoshop test if you can open two copies of Photoshop at the same time you should not be able too.  Use the Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool to solve installation problems"

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When your Preferences are set to use auto recovery when you edit a Document and make changes after the time set in your preferences if the document is still open with unsaved changes Photoshop Auto recover feature creates a file "Filename Recover.PSB" in your recovery Folder When you save  your document changes the feature will delete this PSB file.  So when you close down and open Photoshop the recovery folder is empty.  Should Photoshop Crash there may be some PSB files in the recover folder.  When you open Photoshop, Photoshop will open these PSB files so you can recover some of your unsaved changes.  You should use these PSB documents to save your unsaved changes to your files "Filename.ext" this will remove the PSB document as an open document   you will now be editing document filename.ext.  If you do not want to recover you work you can simply close the PSB  documents. Photoshop should close out the  PSD document and delete the recovery PSB files.    If this Photoshop close does  not remove the PSB document and delete its backing PSB files the next time you open Photoshop,  Photoshop will open any Un deleted PSB file in the recovery folder.  Close Photoshop and delete the files in your recover folder.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you for your answer, however the recovery documents are not the problem.

the problem is:

- the application can open many time - not in just one window

- the PNG format files I created from PSD document, opens as PSD

- Photoshop application do not recognize content of the layers when opening PSD files in double click or right click open, and open the last document that was opened

- the formats of the files are confused

basically the whole application files thread is not working correctly

any ideas why that can happen?

thanx

🙂

ilil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On Windows only one instance of Photoshop can run a a time.    If you just start Photoshop.  Photoshop's Window should open and there should be no open document unless there has been a failure and there are recovery PSB files.   In that case when you start Photoshop, Photoshop should open all the recovery PSB files and you you see open recovery document open in Photoshop.  To me what looks strange to me is you screen capture look like two instances of Photoshop are running on you window. That should not be possible on windows.  You edit in tabs I edit in floating windows so our screen captures will look different. your.  Looks strange to me:

photoshop+app+-+bug.png

Here I have 5 image open in CC 2017 I try it open an image in CC 2014 the version of Photoshop I use. You can see what happens it open in the currently running CC 2017 instead.  I also can not start second copy of CC 2017.  In the first capture where I hover over Photoshop's icon on the task bar there is one Photoshop UI window and 5 floating image windows.  Yous showed two Photoshop both having open tabbed images.

Capture.jpg

Try Resetting you preferences. If you can still open more than one instance of Photoshop Uninstall Photoshop download ant use Adobe Cleaner then install Photoshop test if you can open two copies of Photoshop at the same time you should not be able too.  Use the Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool to solve installation problems

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, my Photoshop has a bug, what should I do?

And why this happens?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried what I wrote? "Try Resetting you preferences. If you can still open more than one instance of Photoshop Uninstall Photoshop download and use Adobe Cleaner to wipeout all traces of Photoshop then install Photoshop test if you can open two copies of Photoshop at the same time you should not be able too.  Use the Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool to solve installation problems"

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'LL try that, if I'll have to uninstall Photoshop will my brushes and

color library will be saved?

And do I have to backup all my files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines