• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Facing Pages & Numberingg

New Here ,
Jun 18, 2017 Jun 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello I am designing a magazine for the first time in InDesign. I've used this software for other things but I've never laid out a magazine in it so I'm struggling with the layout a bit.

I essentially want the pages to be numbered starting after the cover page and on opposite ends. I have selected facing pages as a document option but when i look in the page panel only the first two pages are facing each other :

Screen Shot 2017-06-18 at 2.01.07 PM.png

I've combed through the forum and found some of the directions a bit confusing. I'm not trying to do a super complicated layout i just want the pages starting from the second page to be numbered on the bottom left side and the bottom right side.

Also are the facing pages supposed to look like this? Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guide , Jun 18, 2017 Jun 18, 2017

You've got pages with [ ].

Go to File > Dokument Setup ..., check facing pages . InDesign will ask you someting about spreads - say "No".

Fenja

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turn on(!) Allow Pages to shuffle in the fly out menu of the Pages panel first and see if this corrects it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! That helped with some more pages but its not doing it for the rest of the pages. This is a 34 page document. I'm sure somewhere along the lines I messed up the master layout, Is there a way i can get step by step directions on recreating the layout to have the pages facing each other with its proper page number on each corner?

Screen Shot 2017-06-18 at 2.41.22 PM.png

I sellected Allow Document Pages to Shuffle

Here was the result:

Screen Shot 2017-06-18 at 2.42.44 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-06-18 at 2.43.03 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You've got pages with [ ].

Go to File > Dokument Setup ..., check facing pages . InDesign will ask you someting about spreads - say "No".

Fenja

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

About page numbering:

Create a new single master page for the cover, without page numbering.

The numbering will start on the next left page with "2".

Fenja

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you so much! OK this is how it looks now. I Unchecked the facing button and rechecked it so everything is now labeled Screen Shot 2017-06-18 at 3.22.22 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also: what is the floating orange frame at the top of the second page...??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

please disregard it was a block I forgot to lock on a page. Sorry!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Addition to answer no. 1: File > Document Setup: Is "Facing pages" checked?

Fenja

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines