• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

After Effects CC 17 Depth of Field not working??

New Here ,
Jun 17, 2017 Jun 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please Help! I've been working on a project In After Effects CC 2017 making a title template, I clicked the box to set my title template with the effects I already have on it to 3D, set the mode to screen and then duplicated the Title template, I then tried to push the duplicated layer in the Z Field back to have that 3D effect but when I do, it doesn't show my duplicated layer pushed back at all even though it shows I have two layers, and ive tried many other forum solutions like: pushing it back even further into Z-Field, changing the Renderer: from classic 3D to Cinema 4D, and Ray-traced 3D and still nothing, the only issues I can think of is maybe my graphics card isn't compatible for the 3D rendering cause when I go to Preferences and check my GPU Information nothing shows up in my OpenGL or my CUDA, and also my preview screen that displays my project shows in the top right corner "Display Acceleration: Disabled". Also I apologize in advance I am not amazing with After Effects I am still learning, so please if you can be specific with answers it would be greatly appreciated.

[Moved from the non-technical LOUNGE Forum to the Program forum... Mod]

[Here is the list of all Adobe forums... https://forums.adobe.com/welcome]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 17, 2017 Jun 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

show us a full screenshot of your Ae interface so we can see what's going on

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 18, 2017 Jun 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I post a screenshot from my Android device on this discussion?, I have the images of the A.e. interface but this is my first time using a forum and I don't see an Icon that let's me attach a file or screenshot from my gallery.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe I'm missing something and it is really difficult to help you without a screenshot of your interface. Anyway, the first thing to get DOF effect is to have a 3D Camera in your composition with the Depth of Field Option enabled. Once you do this, the nest step is to use the parameter Aperture in the camera settings to get DOF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was actually able to insert the screenshots of the A.E. Interface from my laptop instead of my phone i just need an internet connection cause at the moment earlier i didn't have one, I did like you said and enabled DOF but the only thing i don't know is how to mess with the parameter aperture settings to get DOF, how do i use that?, but also here's the images hopefully this helps out.Capture4.PNGCapture 5.PNG

Capture 3.PNGCapture 2.PNGCapture 1.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

It is a bit technical to explain how the DOF work. Basically, you need to let the light to pass through the camera, so with a higher value in Aperture you will get more blur, but you need to set up Zoom and Focus Distance. In these two parameters have the same value, you will never get DOF. Try to move Focus Distance to activate DOF. But also, you need to have your layers with some variation in Z Space. If all your layers are located in the same Z Value and, they will be on focus except if you move your camera.

This is something that is not related to GPU or CPU

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I adjusted the zoom, focus and aperture parameters like you said. everything else work fine when i create the camera and use the unified camera tool to rotate my templates around in the DOF, but when i try to move my second/duplicated template with some variations in Z-Space behind my first template it doesn't move behind it still to create that 3D look, instead they stay stuck together like they are one single layer. I've been watching a tutorial video on YouTube to the "T" on how to create the project i'm working on and the layer still doesn't move back in Z-Space. But when i create a different Composition and make a Text layer and duplicate everything to test out if it works the same way as the other project it actually works and i see the second template layer in the back of Z-Space the way it should be.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A couple of additional suggestions:

In your camera settings:

1. Reduce your f stop value. It's currently 5.6 - try 1.4 or lower.

2. Increase your blur level past 100% - try 1000%

Mike A.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the extra suggestions Mike, i did give it a shot with everything else i was suggested but still nothing unfortunately , I'm going to keep trying to see if i missed some things. If not i might just scrap the whole project and start over again and get back to you guys. I did respond back to to Jose Panadero's reply if you want to read that and see if you have any other suggestions that might help in this case still. it would be much appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 20, 2017 Jun 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have the Collapse Transformations option turned on for your duplicated comp, it will pull the 3d values form the layers inside rather than taking the new value.

IF that's not it, the answer is likely that there is a 2d layer somewhere in your layer stack. 2d layers will break the rendering order of 3d layers. You will need to move that 2d layer out from between the 3d layers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 23, 2020 Nov 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. I was having the same issue. I found a solution that worked. I copied the camera into each compositions where there are 3D elements. I noticed in my case, that the main composition was considiring sub comp as "flat" like it is a projection on a plane. Once i copied the camera into the sub comp, the depth of filed came back. It's totally counter-inuitive but it worked in my case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 05, 2020 Apr 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi mike,

thankyou very much as per your recommendation i have reduced f stop value and and try to play with zoom level it worked normally

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 21, 2017 Jul 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ttkymott,

Did you ever get your depth of field issue working? If so, let us know how you pulled it off.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 03, 2018 Mar 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For all coming from google, make sure your camera view is in "Active Camera". If you use "Front" or any other, it may break the DoF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jun 14, 2018 Jun 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same issue, composition panel near the bottom one of the settings was set to draft. Therefor blur didnt seem to work properly    

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 10, 2018 Sep 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It doesn't seem to work in fast Draft. You have to use Final Quality

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 27, 2018 Sep 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ttkymott

be sure that you turn off Draft 3D from composting panal .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 15, 2021 Apr 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys, 

I was looking for the option of turning off the "3D Draft" and I spent more than one hour trying to do it. Because in the videotutorials, people click on the "Draft 3D" option directly, and that worked for them, but not for me. 

I finally found the option, if someone else is looking for it, here it is:

In the bottom of the composition view, and next to the "Resolution/down Sample Factor Pop Up" you have an icon that is like a thunder inside a box.

Screen Shot 2021-04-15 at 11.49.22 PM.png

Click on it and select the option "Off (Final Quality)" and that's it. 

Screen Shot 2021-04-15 at 11.46.53 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 29, 2019 Dec 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also note that if you're applying this to a nested composition, the nested layers must also have 3d enabled.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 29, 2020 May 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And make sure you have in

composition>composition settings...>3D renderer

The renderer set up as Classic 3D

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 18, 2021 Feb 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This solved it for me! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 17, 2021 Jan 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! I had a problem just like yours and my camera didn't show the aperture. Even, I had enabled all settings that I had learned from different tutorials. Eventually, I checked the composition settings. I noticed that in the Render settings if I changed the Render to 3D Classic, the camera will show the depth of field. I hope it helps you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 15, 2021 Apr 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The C4D rendering engine has no Depth Of Field capability.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 20, 2021 Jul 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

thats what happened to me, thx for clearing it up

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines