Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Set zoom on hyperlink destination

Contributor ,
Jun 17, 2017 Jun 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

I have created a chart in Illustrator with footnote reference numbers at different points on the chart and then the reference notes at the bottom of the chart. I've placed this illustrator file into Indesign and now need to create links from the reference numbers to the notes at the bottom. For reference note number 1 (at the foot of the chart) I drew a rectangle around the notes section (without any fill or stroke) and as it was selected I chose "New Hyperlink Destination" from the links panel. I then drew a transparent circle around the first reference number in the text and using the "Buttons and Forms" panel, I created a button with an action of "Go to Destination" and then chose the destination that I had created earlier using the transparent rectangle. I exported to pdf to test it out and the link worked but when I pressed the link (on top of reference number 1), it just showed the whole page. Instead I want it to zoom into the area around the rectangle which I used to cover the first reference note at the bottom.

When I created the hyperlink destination using the rectangle, the type was set to "Page". There was another option to set it to "URL" which I didn't use and the other option of "Text Anchor" was greyed out. I tried to change the "Zoom Setting" option from "Fixed" to "Fit Width" but it wouldn't let me change anything, ie. it kept remaining at fixed.

Can anyone tell me how I can get this to work, ie. click the number in the chart, have it go to the related text at the bottom and have the zoom be the same size as the rectangle around the reference text?

Would really appreciate any help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 18, 2017 Jun 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do this in Acrobat.

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Jun 20, 2017 Jun 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi gwhPoster,

The workflow that you shared is a bit confusing. Would you mind elaborating it step by step or share screenshots of how you want your hyperlinks to show up in the PDF?

Regards,

Om

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 20, 2017 Jun 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply,

Basically, the footnote reference numbers are in the text (ie. in the chart). When someone clicks on one of the reference numbers, I need the screen to show the reference note which is placed further down on the page in the footnotes section and I need the zoom level to be "Fit page". So they click on the number further up on the page (the zoom level at that point could be anything) and then when they've clicked the number, the area where the relevant note is is shown (further down on the page) and it is taking up the full screen as much as possible.

It was suggested to do this in Acrobat but can it also be done in Indesign?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 03, 2017 Jul 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi gwhPoster,

Sorry for the delay in response. I believe this kind of interactivity can be done using multi-state objects. Please check this link for details: Add interactive buttons in InDesign

Regards,

Om

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MSOs do not work in PDFs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That's correct Bob. The link that I shared does suggest to view it or export as EPUB or SWF.

Regards,

Om

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines