• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Stored Procedure to Add Record not adding record

Explorer ,
Oct 14, 2008 Oct 14, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have never successfully added a record via a stored procedure, but I have been successful with adding records via server behaviors and using recordsets with stored procedures, so I know the connections work. I have the data in MS SQL Server and the web page is ColdFusion. When I enter the data and click "Submit", absolutely nothing happens. When I check the SQL table, no record has been added. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Here is my Stored Procedure:

TOPICS
Advanced techniques

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advisor , Oct 15, 2008 Oct 15, 2008
Replace:

<cfif isdefined ("Form.Amt_Principle") and Form.Amt_Principle NEQ "">
<cfprocparam cfsqltype="cf_sql_decimal" value="#Form.Amt_Principle#">
<cfelse>Null</cfif>

With:

I'd provide each form variable with a default value so that a value will always exist for each variable.
<cfparam name="form.Amt_Principle" default="" />

Use the null attribute, if the value is 'yes' the value NULL will be passed to the stored procedure parameter, else the contents of the value attribute will be use...

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, by changing the ColdFusion "MM_InsertRecord..." to an actual form element, it looks like it tried to process, but now I get an error "Invalid data for CFSQLTYPE CF_SQL_DOUBLE." I don't even have any SQL type DOUBLEs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. dump your form values and check that each one being passed to your stored procedure is a valid value for the associated parameter's data type.

2. You may wish to use SCOPE_IDENTITY() instead of @@IDENTITY in your query. SCOPE_IDENTITY() will retrieve the newest identity value set within the calling stored procedure.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms190315(SQL.90).aspx

3. The dbvarname attribute should be omitted. It is ignored in CF versions 6.0 and higher. There was a hotfix to enable this feature for CF 7 but as far as I know it is not available for CF8

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

.. Also check your cfsqltypes. cf_sql_money and cf_sql_date are not listed as valid types for MS SQL. The matrix mapping is:

MS SQL type "money" -> CF_SQL_DECIMAL
MS SQL type "datetime" -> CF_SQL_TIMESTAMP

http://livedocs.adobe.com/coldfusion/8/htmldocs/help.html?content=Tags_p-q_18.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, I changed the "money" to "decimal" and "date" to "timestamp". Then when I ran it had an error about undefined NULL values, so I added the following code as well as removing the dbvarname and switching to SCOPE_IDENTITY:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try the null attribute of cfprocparam and the YesNoFormat function to handle passing nulls to your stored procedure.

See attached code. (not tested)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is another sample, using cfparam to supply a default form value.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Blue Chrome wrote:
> Then when I ran it had an error about undefined NULL values,

What was the exact error message?

> And now I'm getting an "HTTP 500 Internal Server Error: There is a problem with the page you
> are trying to reach and it cannot be displayed."

That is a generic browser error which hides the real ColdFusion error message. What error message do you see after disabling "friendly http error messages" ?

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc778248.aspx

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 15, 2008 Oct 15, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Helpful little trick, thanks. Now the error replies:

Null Null Null Null Null

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Blue Chrome,

Please post your updated code and the full error message. Also, are you getting a CF error page or is "Null Null Null Null Null" being output to the browser?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is my cf code:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, I moved the cfprocresult tag and IT WORKS! Now how do I get it to accept null values? If I leave anything null I get the error that reads (in a new window) "Null Null Null Null" and inside the error box says "[Macromedia][SQLServer JDBC Driver][SQLServer]Implicit conversion from data type datetime to decimal is not allowed. Use the CONVERT function to run this query."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use the null attribute:-

<cfprocparam cfsqltype="cf_sql_varchar" value="#Form.Interest_Type#" null="#NOT len(trim(Form.Interest_Type))#>

This will use the value of Form.Interest_Type unless it is an empty string in which case it will pass a null to the stored procedure!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Replace:

<cfif isdefined ("Form.Amt_Principle") and Form.Amt_Principle NEQ "">
<cfprocparam cfsqltype="cf_sql_decimal" value="#Form.Amt_Principle#">
<cfelse>Null</cfif>

With:

I'd provide each form variable with a default value so that a value will always exist for each variable.
<cfparam name="form.Amt_Principle" default="" />

Use the null attribute, if the value is 'yes' the value NULL will be passed to the stored procedure parameter, else the contents of the value attribute will be used
<cfprocparam cfsqltype="cf_sql_decimal" value="#Form.Amt_Principle#" null="#YesNoFormat(not(IsNumeric(form.Amt_Principle))#">

http://livedocs.adobe.com/coldfusion/8/htmldocs/help.html?content=Tags_p-q_14.html#1102102

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
SUCCESS!!!

Thanks Bob, cfSearching and Simon, you guys ROCK.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation