• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Remove Canon 5D Cropping Information when opening in raw

Community Beginner ,
Jun 17, 2017 Jun 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I misunderstood my Canon 5D mk3's  "cropping information" custom function thinking it was just a visual guideline but when I download the images they are already cropped when viewed in Bridge and Raw. I know the cropped info is there as I can retrieve it as jpgs via other software, or in Canon's DPP but I want to edit the raw images w/o the crop in ACR. Can anyone tell me how to remove the Canon cropping info when downloading the raw images?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jun 17, 2017 Jun 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have Lightroom?

One method using Lightroom:

1. Install the Adobe DNG Recover Edge plugin
  2. Convert the CR2 files to DNG
  3. Recover the cropped info in Lightroom via the plugin

Uncrop Canon 5D MKIII RAW files in Lightroom shot with custom aspect ratios - YouTube

Plug-ins for Adobe Photoshop Lightroom | Adobe Labs

See also: Images unexpectedly cropped in Lightroom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 18, 2017 Jun 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the tip but no I dont have lightroom. Can this be done in camera raw? I went thru the various crop options in ACR but could not restore the original image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Everything I've read online suggests that Camera Raw takes the CR2 and applies the crop before opening the file.

The only non-Lightroom method I've seen is using Exiftool

cropping - How Do I Restore Aspect Ratio In Adobe Camera Raw - Photography Stack Exchange

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What about in camera raw clicking and holding on the Crop Tool icon and clicking on Clear Crop.

Untitled.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the clear crop does not restore the image or any other choices in ACR. I think for this project I will just edit in Canon's DPP and cleqr the crop in that software, then save to jpg for photo distribution. Not ideal but simpler than going the LR route (which I dont currently own).

Thanks for your help and suggestions. I will hopefully remember not to use that custom function again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 17, 2019 Jul 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do as in Jeff Arola's reply but hit "Set to Original Crop" then "Done".  Then process on the image from Bridge as normal.  Crop all gone.  No need for LR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 19, 2017 Jun 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you provide a sample image for download or point to one existing on the web somewhere?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 08, 2020 Mar 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Found this post looking to remove the crop also. March 2020, It's easy to do on individual photos in RAW. Right click and hold the crop tool and it will produce a list of options including to clear the crop. Here's a link to that solution.

Pretty easy to apply to all photos in RAW from my experience. 250 files fixed in seconds with no pixel loss.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines