Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having Trouble Loading Lightroom Backup Catalog:

I get the following error message:

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jun 16, 2017 Jun 16, 2017

Stepping back to the basics for a minute, make sure you are extracted the LrCat file from the ZIP file. The Windows File Explorer will let you browse a ZIP file like it is any other folder, but that is just black magic not available to other apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Jun 16, 2017 Jun 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most likely you do not have WRITE permissions to the folder that contains this catalog. So go into your operating system and change the permissions on that folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not think the WRITE permission is the problem.

I had the permissions, though for "Home Users", it did not have Full Control, Modify, or Write.  I made changes to even allow permissions to "Home Users".  After this, I still get the same error message.  I believe I set myself as Admin, HPZ400, though I am not a network PC expert.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure all users have write permissions including SYSTEM and Administrators.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All user have ALL the permissions, except Special Permissions; the only exception to this is WMPNetworkSvc has only Read permission.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And that is the EXACT folder where the backup catalog is located when you try to open it?

Another possibility is that the actual backup catalog file is marked as read-only, if that's the case please change it.

Side issue: it's not a good idea to keep backups on the same disk as the original. Backups must go on a different physical disk.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 19, 2017 Jun 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Path:

C:\Users\User\Pictures\Lightroom\Backups\2017-06-14 1148

It is NOT read only.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stepping back to the basics for a minute, make sure you are extracted the LrCat file from the ZIP file. The Windows File Explorer will let you browse a ZIP file like it is any other folder, but that is just black magic not available to other apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 19, 2017 Jun 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

ManiacJoe , it looks like you  were on the right track.

I assumed that Lr would automatically unzip, since it was going to the Lr backups and Lr zipped them.

I unzipped the backup, and through Window Explorer copied the uncompressed catalog to the directory the active catalog resided (after copying the prior active catalog and pasting it to another location, incase).

After that when I reopened Lr, it works with my prior edits.  (I have 1300 shots from a wedding whose edits went poof after I attempted to get them in a form that Lr5 would recognize).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines