• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Expression for recup the position for a stroke in dotted line (the begining and the end of stroke line).

Community Beginner ,
Jun 19, 2017 Jun 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, i work actually in After Effect, i want to know if it's exist expression for recup the position for a stroke in dotted line (the begining and the end of stroke line). I don't know to copy the position with à null oblect/layer.

i'm explain :

I have a vectoriel object : a plane.  This planes have to follow my stoke dotted line, but when i'm copy the path and copy that in my object, the plane don't follow the dots. He follow the path, yes… but not the end or beginning conditions that i have write for the path.

someone know if expression exist for a dotted line path ?

(I'm sorry for my english so…Frenchy…(i'm french…).

thanks.

[Moved from the non-technical LOUNGE Forum to the Program forum... Mod]

[Here is the list of all Adobe forums... https://forums.adobe.com/welcome]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advisor , Jun 19, 2017 Jun 19, 2017

If I understand correctly - you want an animated layer at the head of a dotted line?

In this case it may be easiest to use the write-on effect, as follows:

1. Animate the position of the plane first.

2. Create a solid underneath it and add the Write-on effect.

3. Copy the plane's position animation to the Write-on effect brush position.

4. Adjust the Write-on effect brush spacing to get a dotted line.

Please note:

There is one significant downside to this method:

If your animation has changes of speed

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you be more specific in what you are trying to do and what it is doing instead?

You can make a dotted line using the Beam effect and the Venetian Blinds effect to make it dotted. That can be tied to null objects for the two ends and (with some math expressions) adjust the angle of the Venetian Blinds effect, but I suspect that's not what you want.

Of course, you can make a dotted line using a shape layer, but you cant really put expressions on it very easily.

Do you have Red Giant Universe? There's an excellent Line effect in there that might do what you are trying to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for your answer,

I have Red Giant, just Red Giant, I see Red Giant Universe 2. It's fully answered my problem!!! I'm going to see the price…

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I understand correctly - you want an animated layer at the head of a dotted line?

In this case it may be easiest to use the write-on effect, as follows:

1. Animate the position of the plane first.

2. Create a solid underneath it and add the Write-on effect.

3. Copy the plane's position animation to the Write-on effect brush position.

4. Adjust the Write-on effect brush spacing to get a dotted line.

Please note:

There is one significant downside to this method:

If your animation has changes of speed from keyframe to keyframe the dot spacing will change - because it's time based. If you have more than 2 keyframes setting roving key frames (right click on a keyframe > Rove across time) will smooth this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, thanks for you'r answer !
in fact I have a really big path in dotted line, and, if I copy the position, in make too many time if the client want to change all.

My plane have to follow the dot, it's my difficult, I wish find an expression for use the path, only by expression.

In this case, i could do all the change only with change the initial path.

Stephane.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines