• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot import Olympus images (OMD EM5 II) into Lightroom 10.1

Community Beginner ,
Jun 19, 2017 Jun 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am new to LR and Photoshop CC. I just downloaded new software after joining the CC program.

I have Mac OS 10.12.5 running a MacBookPro.

I have Camera Raw 9,10.1.

I have two IMPORT issues:

A.

I am trying to export from Photos into LR pictures shot with an Olympus OMD E-Mark5 II camera.

I have tried various ways: exporting originals as Raw, exporting JPG version, with or without XMP checked. I send the exported versions to my desktop. Each folder in a folder has my GetInfo>Permissions set to Read and Write. I can see the images.

I then drag this folder onto LR. It opens. I check the Source to Destination (via Move command).  I can see the photo in LR as checked to import.

When I hit Import, I receive either one of the errors below (depending on whether I try to import the JPG or the ORF file):

1. File could not be found. (The file is the Olympus camera file that ends in xxx.orf)

or,

2. Could not move a file to destination because it is not writable (1). (again, the file is xxx.orf)

When I have exported just a JPG file, the same thing...cannot import.

Since my Camera Raw is apparently the one I need to import the Olympus .orf file per your Adobe website I am not sure what the issue is at this time. This particular image has not been modified by other software and is the original.

B.

Also, I have 41,000 images in Photos. I have modified many in PSE 14, Photos, Affinity, Aurora, SmartPhotoEditor and many other programs. I realize that I could try and go to my Masters folder inside Photos and try to import that way but I would like to keep my modifications. What is the best way to import all the modified images into LR?

Thank you

Wayne

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jun 19, 2017 Jun 19, 2017

Instead of using the drag/drop method, have you actually tried using the import dialog from within Lightroom? It sounds as if you want to import these images in place. You can do so using the "Add" option in the import dialog. This might be a better choice.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, forgot to mention that I can open the image in PhotoshopCC, not alter it, and save it as .DNG file.

Then I tried to import that file into LR.

Again, message is that it is not writable.

Do I need to use Photoshop Bridge?

Wayne

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, bridge has nothing to do with Lightroom. Have you checked to make sure the folder containing your Lightroom catalog has both read and write permission?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for replying. No, I hadn't. But I checked and all are Read & Write.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Instead of using the drag/drop method, have you actually tried using the import dialog from within Lightroom? It sounds as if you want to import these images in place. You can do so using the "Add" option in the import dialog. This might be a better choice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great. Worked!  Thanks!

Any thoughts about Question B?  How to best import a large file with many pictures that have been modified?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm afraid you're talking to someone with "tunnel vision" here. I have used Lightroom in Photoshop for so long that I know very little about anything else. I can tell you that if you have made modifications to JPEG images or TIF images in Photoshop Elements that those images can simply be imported into Lightroom because Photoshop Elements will save those changes directly to the image files in those two instances. And the same would be true as far as PSD files are concerned. If you have made changes to raw images using Camera Raw associated with Photoshop Elements those changes are probably saved in XMP files. If you import those raw files into Lightroom there is an option in the menus to read metadata from files which will pick up the changes that are in those XMP files. Unfortunately, I can't speak for the other programs. I don't know if they are parametric editors or not. Lightroom is a perimetric editor which means that the changes are not applied to the image file but are stored in the catalog. So you will have to determine what will happen to images that were modified using those programs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quote "If you import those raw files into Lightroom there is an option in the menus to read metadata from files which will pick up the changes that are in those XMP files."

Lightroom will read from the .xmp files automatically if present when you initially import raw files.

If you apply changes using ACR outside of Lightroom i.e PS or PSE to raw files which have already been imported  into Lightroom and wish Lightroom to read those edits you will have to use the option "read metadata from files".

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for that clarification. I haven't had to do that enough to really understand that aspect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines