• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot Rearrange Files into Custom Order

New Here ,
Jun 19, 2017 Jun 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used to be able to rearrange files in Collections, but all of a sudden it quit. I'm up to date in all ways. Currently working from a Macbook Pro w/ a track pad. Often work from external hard drives. Any ideas how to get it working again?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 19, 2017 Jun 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Explain what you mean by "all of a sudden it quit"

You cannot re-arrange the sort order in these circumstances-

1. You are looking at photos in a Collection SET. Or a Smart Collection.

ScreenShot033.jpg

2. You are looking at a Folder that contains sub-folders.

ScreenShot034.jpg

Also you can only drag & drop photos into another sort order by holding the mouse cursor on the photo thumbnail. They will not drag if you try to drag from the grey border.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 20, 2017 Jun 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply. I have experience using the custom order and rearranging feature, and have tried all of those things you mention. That is why I say it stopped working all of a sudden. Something has prevented me from using the click-and-drag option, even under the correct circumstances--perhaps a glitch. When I hold down on a thumbnail, it doesn't even give any indication that it can move.

Are there possibly some codes somewhere that are stuck?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you rebooted your computer?  In the past, that fixed drag-and-drop issues for some users.

If that doesn't help, try resetting LR's preferences: https://www.lightroomqueen.com/articles-page/how-do-i-reset-lightrooms-preferences/ .  Sprinkling that magic fairy dust often fixes things when LR's user interface goes wonky.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can try to reset the preferences; but this issue appeared suddenly over a year ago. So, unfortunately, a reboot hasn't done the trick.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've also created several catalogs over that course of time, and nothing's changed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So- how do you use the Mac trackpad?  (I am more familiar with a mouse)

Does Mac have software for the trackpad that you could refresh with a new install?

Can you give us a screen-clip showing the grid and folder/collection panels with an idea of where you are trying to move the photos?

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 28, 2017 Jun 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The trackpad works like a mouse, only it hurts your hand a little bit more to use.   It's not the trackpad, though, because I also have a mouse that connects via Bluetooth (currently using), and the problem is the same. No sign of being able to rearrange images in collections (or anywhere).

Below is an image of my Grid from within a collection. I want to rearrange images in a way that makes more sense to the wedding day story, and then rename the files in that custom order. This was possible in the past, but no longer works.

And in case anyone suggests: this is not an issue of images being in multiple folders, because it happens with portrait sessions, too (which are all in the same folder). I wish that was it, because I know how to fix that! This is so bizarre.

Screen Shot 2017-06-28 at 8.57.50 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 28, 2017 Jun 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 27, 2023 Apr 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I experience the same issue. From what I've read it's a known glitch. I just close and reopen lightroom until it goes away, usually takes a couple times.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 10, 2024 Jan 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

same issue. Can't figure out how to fix it though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines