• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

After Effects 2017 plugins problem (1114)

Explorer ,
Jun 19, 2017 Jun 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Couple months ago After Effects 2017 started to act very weird about 3rd party plugins.

I started to get "plugin "name of plugin" could not be loaded (1114) (48:46)".

Could not load older projects, on loading there was lot of (1114) errors and project could not be loaded.

I tried to reinstall plugins, cleaned up nvidia driver compliantly and installed most recent but nothing helped.

Noticed when setup project settings to Mercury Software only I was able to load older projects with no errors, but if I apply new plugin (particular for example) I get error.

I got After Effects 2014 installed and there is no such issue with plugins at all.

So for last few months I got stuck using 2014 version since its rock stable and I can't use new versions since I can't find solutions for plugins problem.

Is there any suggestion how to solve this problem?

Thank you.

PC specs:

Win10 Pro, CPU4770K, RAM32GB, GPUs 1080Ti and 3x780Ti, Dual display setup.

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are your plugins up to date versions compatible with AE 2017?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Would you specify the name and the version of the plug-ins? Trapcode Particular v2.6?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 20, 2017 Jun 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, Trapcode 2.6 most recent.

Its not due plugin since my college does not have that problem and I tried it on older laptop with nvidia 650M and no problem there.

My guess is that its somehow GPU driver related.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens if you disable all of the GPUs except one?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What plugin, specifically, are you using that triggers the error?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any Red Giant, Particualar for example. Few months ago used Feather plugin from composit wizard on few layers, now I can't load that project. I was lucky to save project as CC13 on my college PC, so I can open it in AE2014.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would highly recommend contacting Red Giant's support on this issue. It's likely something they can help with. (Or at least something they should be aware of.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 24, 2017 Jun 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its not only Red Giant, frischluft also have same problem.

All worked well until january 2017.

I noticed that I got same problem on laptop after updating win10 to creators edition, i had system backup so i restored system.

But on workstation problem started before and I can't find what started problems.

I guess I'll have to reinstall system in some point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 21, 2017 Jul 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi grgart,

Did you ever get this issue with your plug-ins sorted out? Let us know if you are still having this trouble.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 17, 2017 Sep 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also having this exact same problem since upgrading to AE CC 2017, and I'm still looking for a solution.

This is the only workaround I've found so far:

1. Move all 3rd party plug-ins out of the plugins folder.
  2. Start After Effects and open the old project file. Without the plugins loaded, this will now work without errors (except missing plug-in warnings, of course).
  3. Re-save the project.
  4. Close After Effects and restore the plug-ins to the plug-in folder.
  5. Restart After Effects.
  6. Open the re-saved project file from step 3.

This suggests to me that there's something going wrong when AE tries to convert the older file versions to the current version.

Another weird thing is that if you try to open an old project and get the 1114 (48 :: 46) plug-in error, those plug-ins won't work at all for the rest of that session. If you try to apply them in a new project you get the "Invalid filter (25 :: 3)" error instead. Restarting After effects returns things to normal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 27, 2017 Sep 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did this ever get sorted out? I am having the same error with Magic Bullet Looks.

Its odd because sometimes a restart works sometimes it does not. Once the error is seen then a lot of plugins fail. Including Keylight.

This is so frustrating. I'm on W10 and a Nvidia GPU

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

The cause might be the combination of the graphic cards. If you set the 780Ti cards disable temporarily, does After Effects become more stable?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 04, 2017 Oct 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem opening heavy projects, but same version of AE in my case.

The last time it happened, the plugins were Videocopilot Element and Optical flares, but it also happened with some Sapphire suite plugin, and once with Neat Video reduce noise plugin.

Same 1114 error.

The problem also stacks with the system file open window, if after a succesful opening of an heavy project I try to import any file or if I open another project AE crashes.

Drag and drop files works fine in that case.

I'm still tracking the reason, but I found a workaround: after starting AE, I create a solid and I apply the troubled effects.

Then I open my project and it works.

If the plugins and the system file open window are applied to an empty project, the keep working until I close AE.

It seems that somehow the application lacks the resources to load them for the first time if there's a big projects opened (or opening).

Obviously I can work on the project, but I can't add new heavy plugins to it without preloading them in the starting workaround.

I'm been able to work for 6-8 hours long sessions with the workaround, so it works fine.

My PC specs:

Win10 I7-6900K 64Gb 2xGTX1080-8G Dual Monitor

Matteo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 05, 2017 Oct 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah those are the same plugins that usually cause issues for me as well, plus a few others. It's seems more or less random which plugins fail and when. Even after successfully loading a project, with those plugins working, eventually some other plugin will fail with the "invalid filter" error message. It could be one of the Trapcode plugs if I already have Element 3D applied in my project, for instance. And like g83726543 said, this even includes Keylight, which suggests this isn't just a 3rd-party-plugin-issue. I'm starting to think this has something to do with the graphics card/GPU, some kind of conflict or something. Whether it's a driver issue or an AE issue though, I don't know.

Regarding your problem with AE crashing when opening an explorer window dialog box, I had that problem too. The culprit in my case was a deprecated file originally used by OneDrive called "grooveex.dll". Since the file apparently no longer serves any purpose, the solution was to remove the file altogether. Check out this post at Microsoft Community: What does grooveex.dll do exactly? - Microsoft Community

Interesting workaround you've come up with! I'll have to give it a try and see if it works for me too. It sure would be a lot easier than moving plugins in and out of the plugin dirs and having to restart AE over and over.

/Robert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 20, 2017 Oct 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In AE 2018 everything working fine, finally

But since I used 2014 all this time I tried to compare 2014/2018 rendering speed with one of my projects.

They are nearly same speed in rendering but I noticed while rendering 2018 "eats" all memory amount dedicated to AE and 2014 stays at 2-3Gb all the time.

Is there some option in settings to regulate this "memory leak" or its just a way 2018 works now?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 24, 2017 Oct 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope, I was wrong. Same problems with plugins in 2018, back to 2014 again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 25, 2017 Oct 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem in two computers, one with Nvidia and another with AMD gpu.

I have exactly the same symptoms as those previously reported, and the same workaround of "preloading" the effects in an empty new project work for me.

The effects that fail to load are random, but always third party. If loading a preexisting project, it will report a "damaged project file" after it fails for the first effect. Restarting after effects and trying to open the file again will generate a new error, but probably with a different effect, always random. Trying to open the same file after the preloading workaround will succeed, because the .aep file is not actually damaged.

Now, here is something interesting: I thought I could automate the preloading of effects with a script, because it is making me waste a huge amount of time. So I tried with something like this, in this example loading videocopilot plugins:

resx = myComp.width;

resy = myComp.height;

effectList = new Array(

'VIDEOCOPILOT LightSaber',

'VIDEOCOPILOT VIBRANCE',

'VIDEOCOPILOT OpticalFlares',

'VIDEOCOPILOT 3DArray'

);

for (i = 0; i < effectList.length; ++i){

mySolid = myComp.layers.addSolid([1.0,1.0,0], effectList, resx, resy, 1);

myEffect = mySolid.Effects.addProperty(effectList);

};

But that fails, invariably at the second effect, wathever the order of the list. After failing, most effects will become "invalid modules" until reloading the program.

So I figured I might need a bit of a delay between loading the effects. I tried this next:

resx = myComp.width;

resy = myComp.height;

addDelay = 2000;

delay = 0;

effectList = new Array(

'VIDEOCOPILOT LightSaber',

'VIDEOCOPILOT VIBRANCE',

'VIDEOCOPILOT OpticalFlares',

'VIDEOCOPILOT 3DArray'

);

for (i = 0; i < effectList.length; ++i){

command = "mySolid = myComp.layers.addSolid([1.0,1.0,0], '";

command += effectList;

command += "', resx, resy, 1);\n";

app.scheduleTask(command, delay, false);

delay += addDelay;

command = "myEffect = mySolid.Effects.addProperty('";

command += effectList;

command += "');";

app.scheduleTask(command, delay, false);

delay += addDelay;

};

It will again invariably fail at the second effect, this time silently, whatever the order of the list or the length of the delay.

On the other hand, if I try to create the layers and effects from different scripts, one at a time, it will succeed. So it is not an issue with adding effects from a script, as long as it happens in separate calls to run scripts.

The interesting part for me is that I find it very telling that it will always, definitely fail if many effects are being added from the same running process. I  believe internally a single script loading multiple effects might be similar to opening a file with many effects, mostly in the sense that after effects is using a single process to perform the operation.

I believe that might help identify the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 22, 2017 Nov 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has there been any progress or resolution to this problem?

Is it just not widespread enough for Adobe to address? I have upgraded to the latest After Effects and its still problematic. I have a bunch of work coming up and I am dreading the waste of time and frustration this is going to cause.

Adobe Staff please help@!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also ran into that problem. Thanks to the "preloading" workaround it kind of works, but really heavy files with a lot of comps struggle still from time to time. I repeat that preloading routine until it works. Whats even more strange is that I deleted some of the third party plugins from that file, but when opening it again, I get the same "(1114) (48:46)" error for a plugin which used to be in that file but isn't anymore. Don't know whats going on

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I started using CC2018 since it was available and I have no problems about plugins here.

I installed directly a clean copy of AE CC2018, without loading old preferences.

Then I just copied the plugins that were in the ae plugins folder to the new version and it works fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's good to know Matteo. grgart72 was posting "Same problems with plugins in 2018, back to 2014 again". I am in production right now where I usually do not update software. Once the project is finished I try a clean 2018 installation and hope it will work.

One other thing I noticed: sometimes it helped for me to not use the "Open recent file dialog". Instead, I closed AE2017 (or it crashed anyway) and I open the file inside windows explorer with double click...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is very interesting, Matteo, that you have solved this problem for yourself. I am very keen to do the same myself.

Can you explain a little more and for how long has it been working? Did you  use the creative cloud to install and did you remove the previous version.

Thanks so much for your time but in the absence of any support from Adobe, we have to rely on each other!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 23, 2017 Nov 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hey matteo do you have problems with the cc2017 after trying out this workaround?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines