Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign PDF Export: not centred..

Community Beginner ,
Jun 19, 2017 Jun 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I am working on a brochure to be export in PDF with bleeding of 5mm.

During the design process, my client asked me to export it as two page view so that they can see what the real booklet would look like.

So I changed the setting slightly so that the PDF will export as two page (I can't remember what I changed!!!!)

Now that the design is confirmed, I was going to export it single page with bleeding marks and color bar.

The problem is that, now that I need to export it as export as single page, the whole texts and images are not centred. They are all centred and correct in InDesign file.

When I export it as two page, it exports ok.

When I export by page (not spread), it gives me the same problem.

I really don't know what the problem is here, can you guys help me please?

Please see the attached picture for better understanding. Thank you!!

1.jpg

2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 19, 2017 Jun 19, 2017

I just realized that I did not notice before that you have the bleed marks checked rather than the crop marks. Ignore most of what I said above. If you check the crop marks instead of the bleed marks you should be good. If these pages are to be separate pages then the beach image will need bleed on both sides. If this is to be a spread then it should actually be output to pdf as a spread.

I just took a look at your files and with my settings set up like the screen shot below I had no problem with

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Based on the fact that the slug lines for the .indd document are right on the trim line it appears that something was altered in the actual InDesign document. If the InDesign document was set up correctly to the trim size and you output the pdf with document bleed checked (as you have) then the slug line would actually appear below the bleed area. Without seeing the actual InDesign file it is difficult to say what needs to be fixed as the settings in your export to pdf dialogs look good.

One last question. Is this to ultimately appear as a spread printed on one side and if so then why not export it as a spread? If it is a front and back then why was it set up as a spread?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I export it as a spread, it exports two pages attached next to each other, as shown in the image. I want it to be a single page..

I have uploaded an example InDesign file to my Google Drive. Can you please have a look? Still can't solve the problem..

EXPORT PROBLEM - Google Drive

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have uploaded an example InDesign file to my Google Drive. Can you please have a look? Still can't solve the problem..

You've included an inside bleed. With facing pages, the inside bleed comes from the opposite page. This is normal behavior—for most binding methods the inside bleed will get removed when the pages are imposed.

So without an inside bleed (showing bleed and registration marks). Note that the green bounding box is the trim, so the text block on the 2nd page is centered:

Screen Shot 2017-06-19 at 5.42.05 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-06-19 at 5.42.24 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just realized that I did not notice before that you have the bleed marks checked rather than the crop marks. Ignore most of what I said above. If you check the crop marks instead of the bleed marks you should be good. If these pages are to be separate pages then the beach image will need bleed on both sides. If this is to be a spread then it should actually be output to pdf as a spread.

I just took a look at your files and with my settings set up like the screen shot below I had no problem with the centering:

Screen Shot 2017-06-19 at 11.59.15 AM.png

As I said, use crop marks rather than bleed marks. Looking at your file I still am unclear as to why you want to output it in single pages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 20, 2017 Jun 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Problem solved!

I unticked a bleeding marks, and it solved the problem. Thank you @Bill Silbert and rob day for the right answer.

Oh, the reason I wanted the single page output is that because of I need to create a single page PDF often. Wanted to know why I can't export it single page.

Again, thank you!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines