• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign 'Go to Next / Previous' and rollover functions don't work on iPad; any hacks or tricks?

Community Beginner ,
Jun 20, 2017 Jun 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a large Interactive PDF that I'm currently stress-testing and can see that the 'Go to Next', 'Go to Previous' and rollover functions don't work on iPads for the buttons I have created (fine and dandy in good ol' Reader, Chrome and Acrobat Pro). I gather Adobe / Apple don't support each other.

Does anyone have any hacks, tips or tricks on a work around? (Don't want to have to go down add rich media functions route if it can be helped)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 20, 2017 Jun 20, 2017

Only a couple PDF readers on iOS devices support those interactive features (like PDF Expert). Don't hold your breath waiting for that to change.

Adobe is working with other vendors on the "next" version of PDF but, since it's controlled by standards organizations, it will take several years at best:

https://indesignsecrets.com/whats-next-for-pdf.php

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What PDF software are you using on the iPad?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acrobat Reader via Dropbox

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

rollover functions won't work at all for obvious reasons.

other than that, i had the best compatibility when I was trying to create a form for iPad use with an app called PDF Expert.

https://pdfexpert.com/

the ipad and android acrobat reader isn't really up to much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cheers Doug, was kind of hoping against straying from InDesign to achieve this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you don't have to stray from indesign. just use PDF Expert instead of Reader for iPad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah okay. I thought it may have been a third party software offering an solution for the InDesign button actions. Cheers anyhow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

nothing like that. it's just that PDF readers are extremely variable and adobe doesn't seem to have put much effort into the iPad one last time I checked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ha ha, agreed. C'mon Adobe - over to you now

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Only a couple PDF readers on iOS devices support those interactive features (like PDF Expert). Don't hold your breath waiting for that to change.

Adobe is working with other vendors on the "next" version of PDF but, since it's controlled by standards organizations, it will take several years at best:

https://indesignsecrets.com/whats-next-for-pdf.php

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Great answer - thanks Steve.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines