• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Installing Kindlegen to convert ePub fixed file to mobi file for Amazon Kindle upload?

Community Beginner ,
Jun 20, 2017 Jun 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having created a book in InDesign I want to upload it to Amazon for sale. I have exported it create an ePub fixed format file. After much research I learn I need to download and install Kindlegen to convert to a mobi file.

1. How do I do that? The file I opened within the download is an exec folder and I only get verbiage when I click on it. Does it have to be "brought" into InDesign as a plug in...how?

2. I keep reading that the mobi files created from InDesign ePubs have lots of problems?

Does anyone have answers or a better approach?

TOPICS
EPUB

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good luck getting a fixed layout epub to convert to mobi. Why Amazon thinks its own proprietary format is somehow beneficial to anyone is beyond my knowledge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Bob. At the very least I need to know it can't be done. I've spent two days searching forums and You Tube for the elusive (non-existent) how-to. Am waiting 24-48 hrs for an Amazon support call back, but not feeling hopeful. I appreciate your feedback.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 21, 2017 Jun 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Amazon sent a lengthy email explaining how to download, install and use Kindergen if anyone is interested, let me know.

Otherwise they added the following which I'm going to try:

"However, the easy way for publisher to convert the file to mobi is to use Kindle previewer.

Kindle Previewer can display and validate books in the Mobi and KF8 formats. It also accepts an EPUB source and auto-converts it for preview.

Kindle Previewer is a graphical user interface tool that emulates how books display across Kindle devices and apps. Kindle Previewer makes it easy for publishers to preview the layout of a book and make sure its text displays properly for any orientation or font size to ensure publishers produce and submit the highest quality Kindle books.

You can download the Kindle Previewer here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?docId=1000765261

You can download the user guide here: http://kindlepreviewer.s3.amazonaws.com/UserGuide.pdf

You can get the details of warnings by clicking on " compilation details " when you see " Kindle Previewer has successfully compiled the book " on the dialog box."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BTW, AFAIK, that plug in hasn't been updated in years and is incompatible with anything newer than CS6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines