• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

No Video Playback in Program or Source Monitors

Community Beginner ,
Jun 20, 2017 Jun 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having major issues in terms of no video playback and no functional source monitor. When creating new projects or opening old projects the video output does not at all work. When playing from a point in the timeline there is a normal audio output (at normal speed, as if the video was playing too), but the playhead does not move and the project monitor is blank.

If I try and use the source monitor a similar issue occurs, I will double click on a clip, to send it to the source monitor and the source monitor window gets a blue outline, and a playhead, like usual. Here too there is now video output, just blank.

The footage I am using is 4K (3840 x 2160) in resolution and 30p or 60p in frame rate. It is GH5 footage, but I have trans-coded all this footage into H.264 through Adobe Media Encoder to mitigate any GH5 inflicted issues. Furthermore, this issue is not limited to video files out of the GH5, but all video and image files in any timeline from any project, whether that be opening old 1080p projects, with video filmed on a T5i or creating new ones with GH5 footage, it is simply infuriating at this point.

I have done my utmost, prior to posting here to debug the issue myself, clearing the media cache, re installing premiere, loading old versions, changing the graphics card driver and graphics cards themselves, all to no avail.

My system specs are as follows:
CPU: Intel Core i7 6800K
RAM: 32GB DDR4 2133Mhz
Storage: 500MB/s SSDGPU: AMD RX 480 (have also tried R9 380X and GTX 750ti)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow ... understand the frustration.

To reiterate ... you've got an ongoing installation of PrPro, you've done a number of projects successfully, but now you're not getting any image at all in Source or Program monitors though the video plays. Correct?

When re-installing, did you uninstall & cleanup with the Adobe CC Cleaner Tool, or simply do an OS or CC Desktop app run uninstall? If you haven't used the Adobe cleaner tool, I'd recommend that as a starting point ... download, then ignore the instructions and use it to both uninstall PrPro and wipe out the remnants the Adobe programs leave in various folders around the machine.

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/cs5-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

And if you've done that already (maybe even a couple times) or do so now without relief, then ... this sounds like probably a hardware issue of some kind, and the best place for that is the Hardware Forum anyway. So I'm moving this thread to the Hardware Forum for assistance of the wondrous tech guru's that haunt that forum.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Neil,

Yes ... a difficult situation.

That is 100% correct, projects working fine up until recently and now no no image at all.

I used the Adobe CC tool (in the desktop toolbar) whenever doing so.

I too, at this stage imagine it to be hardware based, but given the hardware has not changed, and that all components are working otherwise 100% perfectly, is confusing to me.

Thanks for your help nevertheless Neil, hopefully someone in the hardware section will have some form of solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bill Gehrke​, SAFEHARBOR11​, RoninEdits​ ... anyone else ... ideas here?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems hardware based, yet ... you've tried a couple different video cards. And from all you've said, pursued a right righteous attempt at troubleshooting.

Of course ... is there anything at all from the moment when it all worked to it all didn't that you can recall?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What OS version and any recent updates?

It would be very interesting if you download my Premiere Pro BenchMark (PPBM) to see if this project file has the same problem.  It has been run thousands of times and I have never heard of or experienced this kind of problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

do you have more than one monitor connected to the computer?  if yes, try only one.

does it work if you change the mercury playback engine to software only?

do you have any video i/o devices installed?  if yes, try to disable them or unplug them.

is your cpu overclocked?  if yes, test it running at stock

do you have any codec packs or quickTime installed?  if yes, try uninstalling them

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 21, 2017 Jun 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have unplugged one of the monitors and that seems to have done the trick, both the source and program monitors appear to be working. Is there any solution to get around this? I'm using beefy hardware that is more than capable of driving 2 or more monitors. In fact, I edited on 3 monitors for over a year with 0 issues, until recently switching down to 2 for reduced heat output in my room.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i'm not aware of a fix, it seems to be one of the many ongoing issues with premiere. i think one person posted that it was an overlap or overhang of the software window across multiple monitors that caused the problem. he resized and/or moved the premiere window(s) on his monitor(s) so they didn't overhang onto both monitors, and that fixed it for him.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see, thanks for that: I'll have a mess around and see what I can do. Getting a Ryzen 7 1700 chip (on loan) into today with a GTX 1060, so going to try a fresh Windows install and see if I have better luck there. Incredibly frustrating, as you can imagine. I've been on the live chat support a couple of times and all that seems to happen is they remote desktop my PC, clear the cache, change a few folder names, which provides a 10 minute fix to the issue. I have been editing on the one monitor now for around an hour and all is good so far, but 2 monitors is such an advantage. It is even more frustrating that, as you noted, it is 'one of the ongoing issues', infuriating that Adobe don't communicate that during any form of support sessions

Thanks for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i think some people had utility software, like motherboard software, fan, or rgb software, that caused some problems. if you have anything like that you might try uninstalling it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That is a good call. I have the Gigabyte software suite installed for my X99 motherboard, which may be causing issues - I'll give that a go!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines