Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Creating clipping mask from photo

Community Beginner ,
Jun 20, 2017 Jun 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am looking fro the best way to make an images fit in these stars, i am having trouble with the create clipping mask tool, ideally i would love to have the image centered in the star and then blend it well with the rest of the star.

Thanks

1.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Read through this thread How do I change the background on an image?

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your image was solid - a clipping mask needs transparency around the shape. For your attached example, an ordinary mask will do the job - in combination with the multiply blending mode.

In the example below I took your layer and used the quick selection tool to select all the area outside the stars then added a layer mask set to hide selection. The blending mode of the star layer is set to multiply so that the black and shaded areas remain.

I added an "image" in the form of a gradient fill layer - with the same mask. I could as easily have used a photograph.

Finally a white background at the bottom.

If you have those stars as shapes rather than just the flat image let us know as the approach can then be slightly different.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your stars as a clipping mask

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 21, 2017 Jun 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the help, it was just a png image that i had. I deleted all the lines in the middle so the star would just be the outline but i still ran into the same troubles, ideally i want to put a photo into each star instead of a colour. Everytime i try to put the image on top of the stars and create the clipping mask, it either disappears or it goes into the outline.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Can you attach a screenshot including the layers panel?

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshot.jpeg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

A clipping mask will show the image being clipped , where the image below it has solid pixels. Where the image below is transparent - then the image being clipped will not show either.  It looks like your stars are not solid with pixels, and instead are just outlines, hence the image only showing on those outlines.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to make the stars solid with pixels, so that the image goes into the center and not the outline?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I can see  you already have the outline on ther layer below  (and it looks like a pixel layer). So just use the paint-bucket tool to fill the star on that layer.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Filled the outline with the paint bucket on each star, photo is still going into the out line rather than the shape.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Can you show a close up of your layers panel showing just the two layers - the clipped image and the layer below.

Can you show the star on the layer below with all other layers turned off

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

screenshot1.jpeg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi
It is hard to tell from the tiny icon but it looks like the star on the star layer is not filled. That would give the problem you are having.

Can you check again or show a screenshot of that star layer (as opposed to the layers panel) when it is the only layer with visibility switched on.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I am not sure i understand what you are saying.... I have filled the star outline black.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, i figured it out.. I needed to fill the whole star black then create the clipping mask on top of that, not just the outline.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi
Exactly that - the image will show wherever there are pixels in the layer below. I mustn't have explained it very well

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You did not have to fill with black.  Like the example I posted. I made your Image a normal layer and delete the white background.  Your Image layer's pixels  then are your stars pixels.  Your stars pixels are all 100% opaque.    Any image clipped to your stars layer will be masked by your stars pixels.  And if you change the image layers blending mode to multiply  the Start lines and shading would be blended into the image. Any layer style added to your image would be rendered for the clipped image.

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines