How do I make overlapping text with a stroke in photoshop or AI

New Here ,
Jun 20, 2017 Jun 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to stack text with an outline like in this picture.1.jpg

In photoshop the stroke outlines all the text

3.jpg

and in illustrator it just overlaps, can I get some help?

4.jpg

Also is there any way to have the font size stagger like the "THTIP!" image automatically

2.jpg

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 20, 2017 Jun 20, 2017

There may be other ways, but if you go to Illustrator and put your text on a path, with the spacing set to give an overlap  - the new letters will hide the previous letter as you type :

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi seamusv,

Would you mind checking this link and let us know if it helps How to Make Overlapping Text in Photoshop - YouTube

Regards,

Sahil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Sahil,

Thanks but thats not quite what Im looking for. not intersecting but overlapping

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Put each letter on it's own layer. You can use preset fonts or just draw the letters for the comic book effect as I did below.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thats not quite it either. I'd like to make the changes within the text tool and I feel its possible I just dont know how. Splitting it into layers isn't great because I need to do a whole comic and it takes a lot of time for every sound effect. and its extra time if I have to change spelling or font.

thanks though

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There may be other ways, but if you go to Illustrator and put your text on a path, with the spacing set to give an overlap  - the new letters will hide the previous letter as you type :

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

perfect! that's it. Do you also know how to change the order (like front to back). Currently the first letter is at the back and the last letter is at the front. Like if they were stacked cards your "P" would be on top of the deck facing up. Is there any way to switch that order? So "P" is now on the bottom of the deck

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I don't know how to do that and keep the text editable. I suppose you could use a middle eastern version and type right to left . I've not tried it!

However - if you are happy with the text, you could convert it from text to a group of shapes using Type -Create outlines. Then it is just highlight the shape layers and reverse the order.

Create Outlines (Shift + Ctrl +O)

Reverse order:

It may be worth asking in the Illustrator forum to see if they can add a better suggestion

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 21, 2017 Jun 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a useful trick Dave. Score one for Illustrator!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 21, 2017 Jun 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Still got my "L" plates on in Illustrator Trevor.

I keep finding things that are much easier in Illustrator than Photoshop - then hitting barriers with things that are easy in Photoshop and frustrating in Illustrator. I need to sit down with Lynda.com - but at present the weather is too nice for that here ....

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines