• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

File cannot be read or the destination folder is not writeable

New Here ,
Jun 20, 2017 Jun 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. I am using a MacBook. I am trying to import photos from the camera's memory card, into Lightroom. When I insert the memory card into the reader, Lightroom displays all pictures on the card under the source: EOS_Digital. When I click import (all), I receive two error messages.

1. The file cannot be opened by Lightroom

2. The following files were not imported because they can't be read or the destination folder is not writeable.

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Twirl open the destination panel on the right side of the import dialog. The full file path should be shown at the top. Try import again or ensure read & write permissions are assigned to the folder (s) you are copying into.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi - thanks for the prompt response. How do you ensure / where do you ensure that read and write permissions are assigned?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Finder highlight the folder or paretnt folder and open the info dialog (Cmd+i)

You can change permissions at the bottom if needed by clicking the lock icon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Receiving the same error message. When through each folder and the parent folder and ensured that read and write were checked off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to ensure that r&w is checked on, or if you are the sole user of your mac you can safely give everyone r&w permissions.

Alternatively go to Applications and launch Image Capture and connect your camera or card reader. If you can copy the photos into a folder you can bring into Lightroom using:

Import  >> Add

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still having trouble. Error message different now, I suspect it has something to do with RAW+JPEG format that I am using. Steps:

1. Loading memory card into reader

2. Loading photos into Lightroom

3. Changed file path to folder created on desktop (full r&w access)

4. Click import in Lightroom

5. Error message "the following files were not imported because they can't be read or the destination folder is not writeable.

6. List of files appears, ex "_MG_0367.CR2" list goes on, suspect these are the RAW images, but nothing (including the JPEG) is transferred into this folder

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version of Lightroom is installed? What Canon camera and model?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 21, 2017 Jun 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom version: CC 2015.10.1

Canon: 5D Mark II

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post a screenshot of the destination panel.  Are you importing into the computer internal hard drive or to an external hard drive?

Post a screenshot of the Info panel for the destination folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Importing into the internal computer hd.

Screen Shot 2017-06-21 at 7.11.33 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try manually copying the contents of the memory card to the folder location on your computer. Then Import the folder into Lightroom using the Add method instead of Copy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 26, 2017 Jun 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Theresa,

This did not work either. Error message is attached:

Screen Shot 2017-06-26 at 3.21.50 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have to fix the error message at the top right corner about the disk being improperly ejected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dj, thanks. I am not seeing a way to "fix this". Could it be that the memory card reader is bad? When the card is loaded in, LR recognizes the photos on the memory card,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems like "disk improperly ejected" means just what it says. Restart your computer, try the process again, this error is not a Lightroom issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Restarted. error message now reads:

Screen Shot 2017-06-26 at 3.48.25 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You still have the "disk not ejected properly" message ... what are you doing that could cause this? Exactly what steps are you following, starting from connecting the camera or inserting the camera card?

Are you still trying to import into agi\pictures\2012 as your earlier screen capture? If so, you need to show us a screen capture of the permissions on this exact folder. If you are importing to a different folder, show us a screen capture of Lightroom's Import dialog box AND a screen capture of the permissions on the destination folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a screen shot of what I am trying to do now:

1. Open in Apple Finder the EOS Digital Import

2. Take all photos from EOS Digital Import and drag to Photos folder on desktop

Screen Shot 2017-06-26 at 4.10.03 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since I am not a Mac person, and I don't use EOS Digital Import, I can't help further, but clearly you need to find the solution to this before any LR issues can be solved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has the markings of a hardware problem.  It seems that the computer is losing its connection with the EOS Digital card, hence the message about the disk not being ejected properly and the messages from Lightroom and the Finder that the files cannot be found.  Try another way to read the card using a card reader with a USB connection.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no reason to use the EOS Digital Import app. Get a USB card reader. This will mount the card like a hard drive on your computer. Drag and drop the folder of images from the card to the location that you want them on your computer. Hint: don't put them on your desktop. Put them where you plan to keep them. I also recommend renaming the folder to something that makes sense, like the date and place the images were taken. Now you should be able to import the images using the add method.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Here's a short article I wrote that includes Mac screen grabs. How do I get photos from my camera into Lightroom? | Orchard View Color

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines