1 2 3 Previous Next 97 Replies Latest reply on Oct 24, 2018 7:02 AM by miguela18922394

Licensing, Royalties, Ownership, EULA and TOS Q&A

JeanetteMathews Adobe Employee (Admin)

Adobe Fuse CC and Mixamo online animation services are currently in a limited duration technology preview, and during that preview they are available for free, with no licensing or royalty fees, for unlimited commercial or non commercial use.  You can use Fuse, the auto-rigger, characters and animations in any type of creative project.  Adobe retains the rights to our software and content, you retain the rights to your designs and creations.

The full Adobe Terms of Use are available online, so please feel free to browse for specific details there.

Project Examples

YES, you can create...NO, you cannot create...
      Video GamesBlueprints or asset packages for video game engines which redistribute character or animation raw files
      DLC or Addon Content for GamesPackages for 3D stock or asset websites where character or animation raw files will be sold
      Movies/VideosAny type of free distribution of character or animation raw files
      Illustrations and Prints
      3D Prints
      Merchandise

Distribution of Files

As you can see above, really the only thing you can't do is distribute the raw files.  To be clear this does not include team based projects.  If you purchase an asset for a team then all members of that project team may access and use the file.  You may not distribute the files to customers or non team members;

FAQ

Can I use Fuse and Mixamo for non profit, commercial, research, or school projects?

Yes to all.  There are no limitations on the types of paid or nonpaid projects you can use as long as it follows the distribution rules above.

Do I have to give Adobe, Mixamo, or Fuse credit in my project?

No.  That is up to you, and you're certainly welcome to, but are not required to give credit to Adobe, Mixamo, or Fuse in any way.

If I use Mixamo and Fuse free now then they become paid will I have any costs?

No.  Your use of Fuse and Mixamo are covered under the terms at the time you use it.  If any changes are made to the pricing structure this would not have any effect on projects made during the free period.

• 1. Re: Licensing, Royalties, Ownership, EULA and TOS Q&A
          gurayg Level 1

Hello JMathewsAdobe,

I'm one of those old Mixamo Fuse users that purchased through Steam.

Mixamo blog post say

"Adobe Fuse CC (Preview) is not a free trial, it is a free version of the application"

But download page at Adobe said "Start your Free Trial" and Creative Cloud Desktop app says "Try"

A little confused here. Which one is it? Is this a trial or not?

Can I import my own content into Fuse CC(preview) export into Mixamo, download my auto rigged character and use it in a commercial video game project while this "preview" thing is going on?

Thanks for your time.

• 2. Re: Licensing, Royalties, Ownership, EULA and TOS Q&A
            Jovon Towns Level 1

yes...

I am also another individual that payed for this through Steam and I will certainly not want to pay for it again.

We should be able to provide Adobe's support with our Steam purchase details to receive credit as purchased. I realize this one is beefier with the Photoshop integration and the characters with scan data texturing but honestly that just doesn't seem enough to justify buying this twice.

Also this version is suffering from a few issues with symmetry, hesitations between functions, and it doesn't scale properly with multiple-monitors, on Windows 10.

Ultimately I love it and Thanks!

• 3. Re: Licensing, Royalties, Ownership, EULA and TOS Q&A
              Jovon Towns Level 1

This is the statement causing concern by-the-way

For a limited time, Fuse is available as a free preview to Creative Cloud members.

• 4. Re: Licensing, Royalties, Ownership, EULA and TOS Q&A

Hi Güray!  Sorry for any confusion here.  Fuse is not a free trial in the same sense as the other creative cloud trials (which are limited to 30 days).  It is a free version of the application.  It's still considered 'trying' the product rather than 'buying', but preview is Adobe-ese for "Beta", basically.  We currently don't have a planned end date to the preview period, so enjoy the free-ness and we'll make sure to announce when things change!

@Jovon - Thanks for the feedback!  At this time, the limited time is undefined, so we don't have the details on what we might do after that.  When we do, we'll be sure to make announcements.

• 5. Re: Licensing, Royalties, Ownership, EULA and TOS Q&A
                  Jovon Towns Level 1

Thank you JMathews!

Your always so awesome with your response time.

Thank the team for making it so much more simpler to get models exported out as an obj and back into the editor.

I prefer making my changes in Zbrush and it was nice to make adjustments and get the improved model back in Fuse with a few simple clicks!

Cheers!

• 6. Re: Licensing, Royalties, Ownership, EULA and TOS Q&A

Well thanks!  I'll be sure to pass that on to the team, I know they will appreciate it.  As someone making custom content you might also like to know there's an easier way to update your custom content rather than having to entirely re-import it.  Just right-click on any custom content in your library and choose "Edit Item..." to open the new Edit panel.  You can adjust name, category, texture maps, region names and update all of your maps.  Now you'd only need to re-import if you have an entirely new mesh.

RightClick.png

• 7. Re: Licensing, Royalties, Ownership, EULA and TOS Q&A
                      Jovon Towns Level 1

I just tested that

AWESOME!

Man THAT'S tremendous!

• 8. Re: Licensing, Royalties, Ownership, EULA and TOS Q&A
                        Paul Whitehead Level 1

Will adobe fuse be available to us for the long term as long as we're creative cloud subscribers?  Will adobe start charging more or a separate fee for this program in the future?  This needs to be elaborated on please.

• 9. Re: Licensing, Royalties, Ownership, EULA and TOS Q&A

Hi Paul!  Great question.    At the moment Fuse is available for free for anyone, even if you don't have a Creative Cloud subscription since it's a free preview.  The long term pricing decisions haven't been made yet, but we'll be sure to keep you all up to date as best we can.  Right now, please enjoy the free preview and we'd love any feedback you have on the application!

• 10. Re: Licensing, Royalties, Ownership, EULA and TOS Q&A
                            Paul Whitehead Level 1

Is this most likely whats going to happen?!  I know when edge animate came out it was a preview until a final version came out.  I can't see adobe intergrading this new 3d character program with photoshop and other cc applications and then pulling it in the future and charging us extra for it.  Until adobe makes this clear, I can't see anyone or my self really getting into making it a full line of production when this case isnt made clear.  I'm worried.  I know there is a lot of confusion because old accounts that were with this company are now being integrated and their accounts are now being merged to cc accounts now and maybe thats why its a preview.  So they get a preview now, but if they don't have a cc account anytime soon, they will have to or it will go away.  But for us cc people who already have the account, won't be affected.  Is this safe to assume?  Please clear this up...

• 11. Re: Licensing, Royalties, Ownership, EULA and TOS Q&A

I can't speak to the final decisions as they haven't been made yet.  I think what's most likely is that Fuse (Preview) will remain free and yours to use forever.  It's a free version of the app, you download it, you have it, so we're not going to take that away.  If we come out with a new -non- preview version, it would be rolled into the Creative Cloud offerings so you would get the upgraded version through CC, but this version wouldn't be taken away from you.  Please take this with a healthy dose of "not official statement", though.  Adobe could decide to turn around and charge you a million dollars for the next version.  Unlikely, but just saying.

The Preview status doesn't really have to do with the account upgrading, it's more just that this is a very new type of product and we really want to know what everyone things about it so we can make it better!

• 12. Re: Licensing, Royalties, Ownership, EULA and TOS Q&A
                                Paul Whitehead Level 1

Yeah, lol.. (charge a million dollars) like they did with DPS 2015, lols...  I just seem to gather from reading other forum posts and private messaging people, the message was totally 100% clear as to what the situation is for people who bought a license with the previous company.  That being said, it makes sense that adobe is making this a preview version to let this accounts bleed out from what they originally had, merge the accounts in the process and when the time is up for the "preview" version, they'll be forced to roll into a creative cloud package for the whole animal or do a single app for this particular program.  Does this make sense to you?  All i know is that there are lots of very upset people not being clear with whats going on here, not so much being update at the quality of work thats been put into the program and its features.

Listen I've been using adobe for almost 20 years and i'm 30.  Been using adobe since way before they bought out macromedia and took ownership of the programs we know today (fireworks, flash, dreamweaver ext.)  Adobe is an amazing company, but sometimes they swallow before they chew all the way and their clients are the ones that loose brain activity and die.  Please talk with the higher ups and have them make this clear for all of us.  I know I don't have anything to worry about per say, but people who came from the previous company are upset and taken back.

• 13. Re: Licensing, Royalties, Ownership, EULA and TOS Q&A

Yeah, I came from Mixamo (the company that originally made Fuse), so we're definitely aware that it's been a rough transition.  At this time there's just no information to share.  When those decisions are made we'll make it available to everyone!

• 14. Re: Licensing, Royalties, Ownership, EULA and TOS Q&A
                                    Paul Whitehead Level 1

Aren't most decisions thought out though at the around table?

• 15. Re: Licensing, Royalties, Ownership, EULA and TOS Q&A
                                      Jovon Towns Level 1

Wonderful and honest answer.

Hey, what more can we ask for "shrug"

Paul is right, but to be honest Paul they are feeding everyone pretty dang good right now.

I only had Fuse because that Mixamo was completely out of my budget.

They've given us FREE REIGN at Mixamo's Store and Tools and that's at minimum $2,000 in value...

I'm just trying to look at the positive perspective I guess

• 16. Re: Licensing, Royalties, Ownership, EULA and TOS Q&A
                                        Jovon Towns Level 1

Fuse was only like $50 bucks or so

• 17. Re: Licensing, Royalties, Ownership, EULA and TOS Q&A

And I will bring your concerns to the table.    I hope that it doesn't come across that I'm brushing you off.  I feel very strongly that you deserve a solid answer, it's just that we don't have one to give you.  Mixamo (the company) was acquired and Mixamo (the service) is in transition as we move into the Adobe ecosystem.  Until those decisions are much more finalized, it's very difficult to put prices on things.

I think at this moment we're doing our best to give a ton of cool stuff for free so everyone can have fun and focus on creating.  I think the content that's been given free is worth $50-$100, but that's relative to everyone's point of view, so I'll be sure to keep updating you as best I can!

• 18. Re: Licensing, Royalties, Ownership, EULA and TOS Q&A
                                            benjaminp7227171 Level 1

Hello Jeanette,

I sent you a personal message regarding this thread.  Are you able to review it?

Regards,

• 19. Re: Licensing, Royalties, Ownership, EULA and TOS Q&A
                                              victorkk Level 1

Hi after I am very pleased with the preview and would like to use this commercially, do I need a subscription to Adobe cloud or pay certain royalties or licensing fees?? I noticed in the forums that it is currently free due to integrating difficulties but since it sounds too good to be true I would like to ask to be sure.

Best Regards,

Victor K.

• 20. Re: Licensing, Royalties, Ownership, EULA and TOS Q&A

There's no additional subscriptions or anything needed.  Mixamo is free because we're working on other things and we weren't ready to integrate Mixamo more fully, so we sort of put it on hold as a free preview while we focus on another application.  The current plan is to remain free while we work on this other app, so no updates happening for 2017.

Mixamo is royalty free for commercial and non-commercial use.

• 21. Re: Licensing, Royalties, Ownership, EULA and TOS Q&A
                                                  jima61645333 Level 1

Hello and sorry for asking again.
                                                  I contacted adobe's chat support and they told me I need to upgrade my subscription to Adobe creative cloud so I can use Adobe Fuse CC (Beta).
                                                  Is that the case?
                                                  Can I use fuse and mixamo (Character and animations), with a free adobe id (and creative cloud), commercially?

Thanks!

• 22. Re: Licensing, Royalties, Ownership, EULA and TOS Q&A

Hi Jim, yes, apologies for any misinformation.

Fuse and Mixamo are both currently in a free Preview for anyone with an Adobe ID and do not require a paid subscription to Creative Cloud.  You can use them in commercial projects royalty free at this time.

• 23. Re: Licensing, Royalties, Ownership, EULA and TOS Q&A
                                                      Kwizatz Level 1

Hello,

Ages ago I actually paid for a FUSE license on Steam, at the time my goal was to use it to create characters for video games (my 3D modeling skill is low). I believe it was sold under that premise being valid, characters are free, pay for the animations. So I have a few questions in regards of this EULA.

It sounds a lot like that of DAZ, basically create pretty images but don't publish the 3D data, not even as part of a video game, if you want that, pay for a game license. Is this what this should be read as?

If I purchased the license for FUSE Steam, does that mean I can still use it as I originally intended to? Will someone getting the free steam version have the same right if so?

And finally, any chance to get a price cut once the new product is finally out being that I do own a paid licence for version 1.0?

I really want FUSE to be a viable option, but if not, well... at least Make Human does exist.

• 24. Re: Licensing, Royalties, Ownership, EULA and TOS Q&A

Hello Rodrigo, slightly different than DAZ, which requires a seperate license.

TOS/EULA

Fuse and Mixamo characters/animations can be used in all media, including video games, movies, print advertisements, or any other type of content.  What is against the EULA/TOS is selling the content in a "non-embedded" format. 

YES, you can sell: video games, movies, book covers, 3D Prints, illustrations

NO, you cannot sell:  the 3d characters directly, the animation data, or packages build for video games such as blueprints or templates

Essentially you cannot distribute it in any form where the user can easily open the data file and extract it for their own use.

Fuse 1.3 TOS/EULA

The TOS/EULA for Fuse 1.3 is exactly the same.  When Mixamo was acquired by Adobe the TOS/EULA was carried over, so all of the same rules applied and you are still held to that agreement.  Please note that we may not support Fuse 1.3 indefinitely, but at the moment both Fuse 1.3 and Fuse CC are available and free.

Pricing

At the moment Adobe Fuse CC is free.  I do not have data on the pricing decisions for when/if it is relaunched as a paid app, but we'll be sure to release more information as we reach that decision.  For now, Fuse is not under active development for 2017 and will remain free through this year and into 2018.  We'll announce more information as we can.

2 people found this helpful
                                                        • 25. Re: Licensing, Royalties, Ownership, EULA and TOS Q&A
                                                          Kwizatz Level 1

Thank you for the clarification Jeanette, hopefully the project won't remain in limbo for much longer.

I am crossing my fingers so Adobe decides to provide some discount to those of us who bought the software back in the day, or at lest so the pricing scheme is as good as those of Allegorithmic's products.

• 26. Re: Licensing, Royalties, Ownership, EULA and TOS Q&A
                                                            heha123 Level 1

After August 22 which is the close down date for old Mixamo website service, would 3d and animation assets that I downloaded still could be used in commercial products? Since its site will be upgrade to the new version, would I be forced to use the new mixamo version to be able to use in commercial product? Or is it free forever after downloaded? Also, do I need to add Mixamo credit into my commercial product as well?

• 27. Re: Licensing, Royalties, Ownership, EULA and TOS Q&A

Correction:  Mixamo will NOT be closed down.  The site will continue to be up, you can continue to auto-rig, animate and download characters and animations.  The only thing that is being removed from the primary workflow is the 'storage' aspect - saving your characters and animations forever.

You can continue to use Mixamo characters and animations royalty free for commercial projects.  Your downloads are always protected under the TOS/EULA at the time of download, so if we change our terms in the future current characters/animations you own can be used under their agreement at that time.

3 people found this helpful
                                                              • 28. Re: Licensing, Royalties, Ownership, EULA and TOS Q&A
                                                                mykanthrope Level 1

Fuse has been a really good tool in working on my game, and I spent a lot of time trying to figure out how to integrate it into my game dev pipeline. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for creating something that lets me offload the rigging process.

Fuse 1.3 is a good stopping point for me to carry on further development in other aspects of my game.

I'm somewhat fearful that those days are limited and I won't be able to go much further. I did purchase Mixamo's services and when Fuse was initially released. And most of my concern is that I will cease to have access to the Auto-Rigger at some future point. I know you don't have a crystal ball, but it's a little difficult to have faith when they're shutting down certain some services while also putting development on hiatus. Will that still be available to non CC users?

If you could do your best to voice the concerns from some legacy users.

• 29. Re: Licensing, Royalties, Ownership, EULA and TOS Q&A

Hi Michael, as you mentioned I don't have a crystal ball but I can tell you where we are and where we're going:

• Mixamo and Fuse will remain free for everyone with an Adobe ID, no CC subscription required for the foreseeable future.
                                                                  • Mixamo and Fuse will not have any feature development work for the forseeable future.
                                                                  • We hope to return to development of Mixamo and Fuse soon but have no roadmap or timeline.

It's been free for two years, likely going to remain free for another year or two. I'll do my best to update everyone when things are changing and we will, of course, notify people before taking down any services or features.

1 person found this helpful
                                                                  • 30. Re: Licensing, Royalties, Ownership, EULA and TOS Q&A
                                                                    forests7066145Brainy758 Level 1

Can you sell custom imported content that is created via  sculpting on items from the content creator pack ?

• 31. Re: Licensing, Royalties, Ownership, EULA and TOS Q&A

Yes.    The content is royalty free and available for you to create assets.  Many people have sold clothing and custom bodies they have created using the creator pack.

• 33. Re: Licensing, Royalties, Ownership, EULA and TOS Q&A
                                                                        zagrava Level 1

Hi. I have more complex and concrete question. Can I use Fuse and Mixamo animations, meshes and textures after I redesigned them in Second Life game to sell it? After uploading in Second Life this models cannot be downloaded and edited by anyone else.

• 34. Re: Licensing, Royalties, Ownership, EULA and TOS Q&A

Yes, in this context it is considered non editable.  As long as the purchasers cannot access the model, material, texture,  and animation files to edit or extract (within reason on the last point since almost all games can be ripped in some way, but we mean no intentional exposure and export).

1 person found this helpful
                                                                          • 36. Re: Licensing, Royalties, Ownership, EULA and TOS Q&A
                                                                            nathanielb51922547 Level 1

I'm thinking of developing a paid asset for the Unity Asset Store and i need characters and animations for it. These assets would be part of my asset as examples and for testing purposes. Users could use and change it.

As far as i understand, this is not covered by your license. Is there any way i can obtain a license for doing this? Maybe I could just forbid users to use these art in their projects? I would probably need only one character and less then 10 animations from mixamo web site.

• 37. Re: Licensing, Royalties, Ownership, EULA and TOS Q&A

At this time we do not have other pricing or license options available, so unfortunately no, you cannot use Mixamo/Fuse characters or animations in example projects where the assets will be accessible to the user.

• 38. Re: Licensing, Royalties, Ownership, EULA and TOS Q&A
                                                                                nathanielb51922547 Level 1

Too bad, but thanks for the info.

• 39. Re: Licensing, Royalties, Ownership, EULA and TOS Q&A
                                                                                  jenniferb1994 Level 1

Thank you very much for this information Jeanette. Would it be possible to provide us with a direct reference/link to Mixamo specific terms of use, confirming Mixamo free license for unlimited commercial use (as long as the final assets are embedded) & the user retaining the rights on his designs and creations ? I could find Fuse Additional Terms of Use on Adobe website but not Mixamo's... Thanks for your help!

1 2 3 Previous Next