Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I *know* this should be simple: aligning logo

Community Beginner ,
Jun 20, 2017 Jun 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.

I know I am likely being thick here, but I have hunted for how to do this for a while and I can't figger it out:

1. I have a nice bunch of 2450x1750-pixel JPGs to which I would like to add a logo close to the the lower-left corner, offset a little from the corner.

2. I have a nice 2450x1750-pixel PSD file, transparent except for a logo in the lower-left corner, placed just where I would like it to appear on the JPGs.

3. With the PSD logo file open I select-all and Ctl-C to copy to clipboard.

4. I go to a JPG and Ctl-V to paste.

Problem:  the logo always appears in the dead-center of the frame.

Messing with align-layer controls doesn't help, as the logo itself then gets aligned with various frame-edges.  I need the whole layer aligned, so that it preserves the placement of the logo relative to the edges of the frame.

In short, it seems that Photoshop is deciding for itself that since all the other pixels in the layer are transparent, they are irrelevant and it just plops my logo in the middle when I paste.

Can anyone suggest how I can have my logo appear in the right spot when it's pasted, so I don't have to drag it manually for each JPG?

Thanks for any and all help!

Owen.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 20, 2017 Jun 20, 2017

As Chuck suggested, Paste in Place is another method. To use Paste in Place, Select > All in the logo file. Choose Edit > Copy Merged. Activate the file you want to add the logo to, and choose Edit > Paste Special > Paste in Place.

There is yet a third method. With both files open, you can use the Move tool to hold down on the logo and drag it to the title bar of the image you want to add it to. With the mouse still down, hold down Shift as you release the mouse in the image to which you are addi

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use paste in place.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open the file that is transparent and has a logo in the lower corner. Also open the file you want to add the logo to.

Window > Arrange > 2-up Vertical.

Select the Move tool. Hold the Move tool down on the logo (not the transparent area).

Keep the mouse down and drag the logo over the other file. Once the cursor is over the other file, hold down the Shift key and then release the mouse. The Shift key will maintain the same position.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Chuck suggested, Paste in Place is another method. To use Paste in Place, Select > All in the logo file. Choose Edit > Copy Merged. Activate the file you want to add the logo to, and choose Edit > Paste Special > Paste in Place.

There is yet a third method. With both files open, you can use the Move tool to hold down on the logo and drag it to the title bar of the image you want to add it to. With the mouse still down, hold down Shift as you release the mouse in the image to which you are adding the logo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much, both Barbara and Chuck.

Both your answers taught me useful stuff - I'm going to use the Ctrl-Shift-V (Paste in place) option, since I can have multiple target files open and using only the keyboard, paste-merge-close each file quickly then move to the next.

Again, thank you both very much for taking the time to help.

Regards,

Owen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're most welcome, Owen!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

IMO the best way to do it is with a script.  A script can resize you logo to an appropriate size for the image receiving the logo. And Aligned to where you want it aligned. The script I have posted is easy to modify for your logo and the size you want but I chose to align the logo to the bottom right.   I have also posted had yo do ir with and action.  The action dos align the custom logo to the bottom left.

Crafting Actions Package UPDATED Aug 10, 2014 Added Conditional Action steps to Action Palette Tips.
Contains

Example

WM900x600.jpg
Download

My Script PlaceWatermark.jsx

#target photoshop; 

app.bringToFront(); 

var logoFile = "~/Desktop/JJMack.png"; // Watermark file should be large for resize down works better than up

var LogoSize = 10; // percent of document height to resize Watermark to

var LogoMargin = 1;                                         // percent of Document height the Watermark should have as a margin

placeWatermark(logoFile, LogoSize, LogoMargin);             // Place Watermark  into the bottom right of document

function placeWatermark(Image,Size,Margin){ 

if(!documents.length) return;   // if no document return

try{ 

var doc = app.activeDocument; // set Doc object to active document

app.displayDialogs = DialogModes.NO; // Dialog off

var strtRulerUnits = app.preferences.rulerUnits; // Save Users ruler units

var strtTypeUnits = app.preferences.typeUnits; // Save Users Type units

app.preferences.rulerUnits = Units.PIXELS; // work with pixels

app.preferences.typeUnits = TypeUnits.PIXELS; // work with pixels

var fileObj = new File(Image);                 // the passed file

if(!fileObj.exists){   // If file does not exits tell user

alert(fileObj.name  + " does not exist!"); 

return; 

} 

placeFile(fileObj); // Place in file the Watermark png file

activeDocument.activeLayer.resize(100 ,100,AnchorPosition.MIDDLECENTER); // Insure Place did not scale layer 

var SB = activeDocument.activeLayer.bounds; // get layers bounds

var layerHeight = SB[3] - SB[1]; // get layers height 

var resizePercent = (100/layerHeight)*(Size/100*doc.height.value); // Percent to resize by

activeDocument.activeLayer.resize(resizePercent ,resizePercent,AnchorPosition.MIDDLECENTER);  // Resize width and height by percentage

SB = activeDocument.activeLayer.bounds; // get resized layers bounds 

activeDocument.activeLayer.translate(-SB[0].value,-SB[1].value); // Move resized layer to top left canvas corner

var LayerWidth = (SB[2].value - SB[0].value); 

var LayerHeight = (SB[3].value - SB[1].value); 

marginSize = Margin/100*doc.height.value; // move resized watermark into the document lower right corner with some margin

activeDocument.activeLayer.translate((doc.width.value -marginSize - LayerWidth),( doc.height.value -marginSize - LayerHeight));

}

catch(e) { alert(e + ': on line ' + e.line); } // inform user of error 

finally{ 

app.preferences.rulerUnits = strtRulerUnits; // Restore user ruler units 

app.preferences.typeUnits = strtTypeUnits; // Restore user type units   

}; 

};

function placeFile(placeFile) { 

var desc21 = new ActionDescriptor(); 

desc21.putPath( charIDToTypeID('null'), new File(placeFile) ); 

desc21.putEnumerated( charIDToTypeID('FTcs'), charIDToTypeID('QCSt'), charIDToTypeID('Qcsa') ); 

var desc22 = new ActionDescriptor(); 

desc22.putUnitDouble( charIDToTypeID('Hrzn'), charIDToTypeID('#Pxl'), 0.000000 ); 

desc22.putUnitDouble( charIDToTypeID('Vrtc'), charIDToTypeID('#Pxl'), 0.000000 ); 

desc21.putObject( charIDToTypeID('Ofst'), charIDToTypeID('Ofst'), desc22 ); 

executeAction( charIDToTypeID('Plc '), desc21, DialogModes.NO ); 

}; 

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines