Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Exporting interactive PDF with embedded swf and InDesign animation

New Here ,
Jun 20, 2017 Jun 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Morning all,

I've got a one page document I'm trying to export to an interactive PDF (which can be viewed by someone who's only using Adobe Reader).

Currently the document is setup with a number of buttons, animations and object states. All of which work correctly if I export the document as a SWF and then open the SWF within Acrobat, before saving as a PDF.

What I'd now like to do is include a swf animation media item within the document - this item would be included as part of an object state and will be hidden until it's selected - that will display correctly when viewed within Adobe Reader.

Currently, it won't play at all using the above method. I've only been able to make this work by extracting as a SWF and viewing within a browser.

Is there a way of making this work?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 21, 2017 Jun 21, 2017

==> Add audio, video, and interactive objects to PDFs in Adobe Acrobat

Beware: this outdated page assumes that the SWF Player is embedded into Acrobat, as it was in Acrobat 9.0 to 9.4.

But, embedded or not, the Flash Player is required.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to finalize this interactive PDF using Acrobat Pro

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks for the help - but you would mind elaborating a little for me please?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you need to use PDF as the method to distribute this document?

If yes, please realize that interactivity, object states, animation within PDF will not work together.

If no, are you familiar with Indesign Publish Online feature?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you need to use PDF as the method to distribute this document?

Yes, this is the first question since this king of PDFs requires the SWF player: this excludes corporate computers and mobile devices from the outset.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately yes, I'm limited to using PDF only.

I've managed to get the interactive elements and the object states working fine - it was just this last hurdle with the swf animation I was trying to get over.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Object States work in HTML5 or SWF only. A button can have appearances for rollover and click, and this will work for PDF.

As long as your description of states is an appearance attribute, and not an object state, you can accomplish this, but not completely in Indesign. You will need to add the swf elements to the PDF in Acrobat. And if animations are linear, it might better to convert the animation to mp4 or quicktime, with either format placed in Acrobat, not ID.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 21, 2017 Jun 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK - brilliant, thank you. will do this now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And if animations are linear, it might better to convert the animation to mp4 or quicktime, with either format placed in Acrobat,

Playing a video in a PDF requires the Flash Player too.

Or a legacy player, as QuickTime Player, but end-users must manage the yellow bar of death.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Playing a video in a PDF requires the Flash Player too.

JR, can you provide a link to any Adobe help file or information that verifies this statement?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

==> Add audio, video, and interactive objects to PDFs in Adobe Acrobat

Beware: this outdated page assumes that the SWF Player is embedded into Acrobat, as it was in Acrobat 9.0 to 9.4.

But, embedded or not, the Flash Player is required.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately yes, I'm limited to using PDF only.

This may be a workaround: export your file via Publish Online, then embed it in a PDF-Portfolio like this one: Fichiers partagés - Acrobat.com

You need Acrobat Pro DC for creating PDF-Portfolios, InDesign cannot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines