• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Indesign document preview in Finder

New Here ,
Jun 21, 2017 Jun 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I view Photoshop, Illustrator, PDF etc files within the Apple OS Finder. Whenever you select these file icons in 'column view' you are given a preview of what the content of the document looks like.

However, when I select an Indesign file icon all I see is a blown-up Indesign icon. Is there a preference somewhere that I have to select so that a preview is generated?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 21, 2017 Jun 21, 2017

It can be done with a third-party product: Art View 2 from Code Line:

Art View 2 – Code Line

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moving to InDesign​

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sprucetree,

That's an expected behavior with InDesign file on Mac OS. You can say this is an OS related issue. It happens the same with us as well.

Regards,

Om

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It can be done with a third-party product: Art View 2 from Code Line:

Art View 2 – Code Line

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 19, 2017 Dec 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's now incompatible with 10.13.3

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It works in 10.13.2, the latest release macOS version. 10.3.3 is a beta.

If you're having problem with the beta, report it to Code Line Support here:

Art Files Support – Code Line

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, I know it's a beta, but the way Apple are churning these out now it's likely to be a non-beta in a day or three. Thanks for the link 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It will be up to the developer to deliver an update but you want them to know about it (if they're not working on it already). Open a case with that link.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 11, 2018 Feb 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I really think Adobe needs to provide a preview for Finder.  The lack of such a preview shows that Adobe cares little about the end user!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use Bridge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1) Thumbnails are too small in Bridge. 

2) Finder should have preview. 

Issues are old, Adobe has done nothing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then let Apple take care of it or follow the link to the app that Steve linked to. It appears to have been updated for High Sierra and CC2018.

Problem solved!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I’m sorry but why would I pay a third-party company for the functionality that should be built into the Adobe product I am already over-charged for?  On the same note, I do not have a problem with Apple.  Why would I contact them about an Adobe product?

For clarity, Adobe needs to own up to this!  This is an Adobe product.  Don’t push this off onto a 3rd party company AND ESPECIALLY not onto the manufacturer of the operating system YOUR users choose.  This is an Adobe issue, plain and simple.

Thanks,

- Disgusted

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MY users? I don’t work for Adobe but this is an operating functionality. Take it up with Apple. It’s apparent that after 20 years of not having these previews, it’s not a priority.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Woops, I thought you were an Adobe chap.

Still, I would not contact Apple regarding an Adobe product.

Note: Your advice will cause most folks to think that you work for Adobe since your advice is a huge cop-out that ultimately avoids true responsibility.  Or perhaps you are a big Windows proponent who only wishes to stir up problems for Apple.

Cheers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the way it is.

You can make feature requests here:

Feature Requests/Bugs

We are volunteers. Users like you. You're not hearing from an Adobe person unless you see a red Staff badge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank You,

I added the feature request as follows:

InDesign Preview For Finder

There really should be an InDesign preview for Mac Finder. This should be a requirement for your software and should not be considered a feature request.

You may vote for it here: https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601021-adobe-indesign-feature-requests/suggestions/33291841-indesign-preview-for-finder

Sincerely,

AWN

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 12, 2018 Feb 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're going to need more than that. In order to be considered for a feature request, you'll need to state a case for how a majority of users will benefit and why the engineers should allocate resources to such a feature.

Good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 26, 2018 Feb 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quick Look is a "new" thing from Apple that gives OS X users the ability to see a quick preview of the document without taking 10 minutes to open super-slow-launch InDesign every single time just to view a preview.

Maybe Adobe should ask Apple for this document, and then read it, then make a Quick Look Generator.

It's only 2018, we can wait.

/sarc

Quick Look and the User Experience

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or you could use Bridge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bridge is free for all Creative Suite and Creative Cloud users.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sure I'm not the only person who just wants a preview (a "quick look", for lack of a better term...) of an Indesign file while doing other work, and don't care to use an InDesign Finder replacement like Bridge just to cover up for the lack of a working Quick Look generator.

Even Microsoft has no trouble providing Quick Look for their Office programs.

FYI, I'm using CC 2008

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There’s no native way of doing this. There probably never will be unless Apple does it. There’s simply no motivation for Adobe to provide a capability that already exists in Bridge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry,

I just dished out the money for Art View 2 from Code Line & wish I had not.

I get a preview, from a 3rd party provider other than Adobe.

Obviously enough people want this or the solution would not be provided by a 3rd party vendor.  It is apparent that Adobe simply does not care.

Lets be clear about one thing to avoid confusion... This is not an Apple problem!  This is an Adobe problem!  Another 3rd party provider has has already responded when Adobe has not.

You point out Adobe Bridge, but that isn't want people are asking for... they want a preview from their native file browser be it Mac's Finder or Window's Explorer.  People don't want more bloat.  Bridge is not the answer.

Please stop blaming Apple and listen to what people are asking for.

Sincerely,

AWN

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not that it wouldn't be a good addition, it's just that the product managers have a list of literally hundreds and thousands of worthy additions to InDesign! That's why it's important to make a good case for it here:

Feature Requests/Bugs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines