• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Where are detailed instructions for developers to link RoboHelp HTML files to an application?

Explorer ,
Oct 06, 2008 Oct 06, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm switching from RoboHelp for Word to RoboHelp HTML. The original Help project was created years ago, and the developers who worked on it aren't here anymore. Where could I find detailed instructions for our developers to understand how to link the RoboHelp files to our product application? (I haven't decided yet whether to use Microsoft HTML Help or WebHelp as a primary layout. Knowing more about how the files link might help me decide.)

Also, are there detailed instructions anywhere to help them understand how to link context-sensitive Help map ID files to the application?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Oct 16, 2008 Oct 16, 2008
Thanks, Jessica and Pete! I'll try MSHelpWiki and see if the developers can figure it out with that info. If they use Delphi, I'll try the HelpScribble site.

Thanks for everyone's help with this,
Lacona

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The decision on which is down to where the help will sit.
On the users PC - CHMs
On a server - WebHelp or FlashHelp
For calling webhelp, there is information on my site.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

In addition to what Peter pointed out, note that there is information and examples that may help you out right inside the help system of RoboHelp HTML. Before looking at those, you might want to switch to Offline help by clicking Tools > Options... > General tab and choosing the "Use Offline Help" option. If you do that, then crack open the help and look at the Table of Contents, follow this path in the TOC:

Context Sensitive Help > Information For Developers.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Rick! That should help a lot for context-sensitive Help. Is there any similar info in the Help (or anywhere) about linking the entire project to an application? I can't find anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 09, 2008 Oct 09, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

I had the a similiar issue when I decided to switch from WinHelp to HTMLHelp (.CHM) over a year ago.

Our software developers use Delphi 2006 -- I found a web site that has some great info about how to get .CHM files working within the application. Essentially, you need to download a program called "HTMLHelpViewer" and add it to the application. There are instructions to do this here:

http://www.helpscribble.com/delphi-bcb.html

Scroll down to "Adding the Help File to your Application".

Good luck!

--Jessica

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Oct 10, 2008 Oct 10, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, RHGrace,

If you're going to go with compiled HTML Help (.chm), I'd suggest that you point your developers to the MSHelpWiki, which provides links to many articles on how to hook up a .chm file to an application.

http://www.mshelpwiki.com/wiki/tiki-index.php?page=HTMLHelpArticles

There are variations from one programming language to another. So, for example, a C++ .NET developer and a Delphi developer may use different methods to pass help calls to a .chm file.

Pete

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 16, 2008 Oct 16, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Thanks, Jessica and Pete! I'll try MSHelpWiki and see if the developers can figure it out with that info. If they use Delphi, I'll try the HelpScribble site.

Thanks for everyone's help with this,
Lacona

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry... forum hiccup caused repeated post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Peter. Right now, it's on users' PCs, but I was looking into getting it from a server instead. We'll probably go with Microsoft HTML because it's more similar to WinHelp and maybe less headache for developers to figure out what to change. My main question right now is what to tell developers about linking the Help files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp