• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Weird behavior of indent tabs!

New Here ,
Jun 22, 2017 Jun 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to format text in the way that part of it is on the left side and part of it is on the right side of the text field, like so:

text                                    text

I'm doing this by inserting indent tabs (shift + tab) after the left text part.

It is working just fine on most of the lines, but on some of them, instead of a tab, the empty space is filled with a string of numbers!

So it is looking like

text444444444444444444text

Has anyone else experienced this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Jun 23, 2017 Jun 23, 2017

Thanks everyone. It turns out "4" was in the Leader, but I didn't realise it because the Tabs window was closed and I was putting the indent tabs manually.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This sounds like it could be the result of a corrupt preference file. Delete your InDesign preference file and see if the problem recurs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You would get exactly this if you set the Tabs for such a paragraph to the following:

It is possible you accidentally entered the '4' into the Leader field for a certain tab position. (I know you said you are using the forced Right Indent Tab, and not "regular" tabs, but these settings also carry over to Right Indent Tab.)

This would normally be a local override (unless you defined it inside the current paragraph style, but that's much harder to do "accidentally"), and as such it would show a '+' in the Paragraph Style panel for that style. Delete that tab – in my image it's the far right one, YMMV – or remove the Leader, or simply remove all overrides for that paragraph.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 23, 2017 Jun 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks everyone. It turns out "4" was in the Leader, but I didn't realise it because the Tabs window was closed and I was putting the indent tabs manually.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 12, 2024 Apr 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tabs is one of the features that has needed the most amount of attention from Adobe but they have yet to change anything about it in CC. Also color profile matching, crazy that I cant drag a color shape between AI, INDD and PSD without the program completly changing the CMYK/RGB build... but they have no problem charging us $12 a month to use a seperate app for PMS colors. Spend less time on advancing your share holder profits t and your artifical intelegance that is just putting designers out of work and focus more on fixing actual problems, adobe. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 12, 2024 Apr 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi,

Thank you for reaching out and sharing the feedback. Let me assure you, I'll share your feedback with the team and you can do that too by voting for an existing request or posting a new request here. This is the best way of sharing a feedback with the Engineering team.

Thanks

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines