• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to fix LR changing drive letter (but drive letter is till correct on computer)?

New Here ,
Jun 22, 2017 Jun 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm hoping someone can help me.

I've seen lots of stuff on changing your drive letter on your computer when the physical drive changes assigned letters due to various external hard drives etc getting plugged in in different orders etc.

My problem is similar but different.

Somehow LR now thinks my E: drive is named G: All the files imported into LR originally came from E: and on the computer itself the drive is STILL called E: Which is good, that's what I want. But somehow and I don't know how, somewhere along the way something made LR think E: was G: and now in my collections it shows G: with all my folders all grayed out because it can't find the files.

How can I tell LR that what it wants to be G: is really E:? I can't reassign the drive letter on my computer because the drive letter is actually correct and didn't change (E:) and LR is the thing that got messed up?

Please Help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The easiest thing to do would be to go into Windows and change E: to G:

But if you want to change G: to E: inside of LR, instructions are in this document, see in particular Figure 4 and associated text

Adobe Lightroom - Find moved or missing files and folders

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the suggestions.

I would prefer to not rename it in Windows and start getting all mixed up on what drives have stuff where.

I read the article you linked, but I didn't see anything in it that help with me with renaming a drive inside LR. I see lots about selecting a folder within in a drive and going to "Find missing folder" or "Update folder location" but neither of those help me tell LR that the top level G: should be E:. It's not a folder I want, it's the top most level drive I want LR to realize is wrong and point to the proper E: drive. It would be like, in the photos in the article you provided, telling LR that the hard drive  it thinks is "Mac Pro HD3" should really be "Mac Pro HD4". How do I do that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Aren't your photos in a subfolders under a high level parent folder, for example, E:\My Photos (or whatever the name is that you chose)?

So in Lightroom, you go to G:\My Photos and right-click and then Find Missing Folder and point to E:\My Photos

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines