• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

INDD CC 2017 tough to start up

Explorer ,
Jun 20, 2017 Jun 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been experiencing this problem for quite some time, but when I finally get InDesign up and running, I then work my tail off to get jobs done before it decides to crash again. I'm a graphic designer (print industry), and I use ID CC 2017, PS CS5 and IL CS5. My primary use is InDesign, with affiliated files in PS and IL.

InDesign often crashes when I have a couple files open (or sometimes only one) and I go to open another file. These are not huge files. Today had a postcard file, an empty brochure file, and went to open a business card file to make some edits. Upon trying to open, I get the spinning ball and ID stops responding, so I have to force quit. When I try to open, I keep getting the attached message (see screenshot). Yet if I continue to double click the name of the file I'm trying to open, the splash screen shows and I can see it's trying to do things (I see movement, messages like "Starting up panels...", something about registering plug-ins, initializing something....)

Even though it is telling me it can't open InDesign, it eventually opens if I keep at double clicking a file. But by eventually, I mean about 15-30 minutes later, or after a number of force quits and trying to reopen, or by restarting the computer. This issue occurs EVERY day at least once, and really puts me behind in my work.

I have tried zapping the PRAM when I restart, have used Disk First Aid over and over even though it tells me each time that everything on the hard drive is fine. I've looked at posts in this forum about trashing the preferences, but the path indicated does not show that way on my computer. Where I'm seeing preferences is: Macintosh HD>Library>Preferences> ... and then I see two files relating to Adobe InDesign (com.adobe.InDesign.7.0.4.plist  and  com.adobe.InDesign.7.0.plist)

Here's some system info:

Hardware Overview:

MacOS Sierra, version 10.12.5

iMac (21.5 inch, late 2013)

Processor:  2.7 GHz Intel Core i5

Memory: 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Graphics: Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB

Storage: 473 GB available of 999 GB

I've had one computer professional tell me that my hard drive is failing; another told me I needed to update my system software to clear up the problem (which I did); another said to zap the PRAM and run Disk Utility; another said I need more RAM. I close fonts in Suitcase regularly so I don't have a lot open. I spent about 4.5 hours on the phone with Apple service about 4 months ago because this issue began and then seemed to snowball and affect all my other programs to the point where I could not work at all. They updated my system software, but even they couldn't figure out what the problem really was. The whole system has worked since then except for this recurring problem, every day.

Can someone give me some recommendations to get this thing working properly again?

Screen Shot 2017-06-12 at 9.37.45 AM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 22, 2017 Jun 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Can you please provide the following information to help me investigate the issue

• Reproducible Steps – What were you doing when InDesign crashed?
  • Error snapshot or video recording of the issue?
  • Is the issue related to a specific document? If Yes, Can you please provide the document?
  • Is the file located on network location? If Yes, Is the issue reproducible if you open the document locally?
  • Does Trashing preference and cache help to resolve the issue?

Can you please send the sample files to santalwa@adobe.com

Regards

Sanyam Talwar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 27, 2017 Jun 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There seem to be no reproducible steps... sometimes this happens when I have a file open, or two or three open, and I click "command+O" to open another existing file. The beach ball will begin to spin. Or sometimes I have tried to save the file using "command+S" and the beachball spins. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to when, why or how it happens. Sometimes it is just when I have restarted the computer and InDesign just does not want to come back up.

It happens with any file, or rather, no file in particular. The crashing, spinning beach ball, non-opening of the application happens with any file I may try to open. It doesn't discriminate.

All of my files are on my hard drive. I am using no remote server.

I have not trashed preferences and/or cache in a long time. To be honest, I have not been familiar with how to do this, as many instructions that I've seen online do not look like what I'm seeing on my computer when I try to do it. Years ago, I could find the preferences very easily. Now it seems many things on a Mac are "hidden."

I could not even begin to know which files to send you as it happens on random files. My files are not that large (for the most part) and I always make sure that my links and fonts are intact, as I often have to collect and package to send to a printer. Printers seem to have no problems with the files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 27, 2017 Jun 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try removing Suitcase and launch InDesign

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 02, 2017 Aug 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I can't get past "Starting up Panels" anymore.It's driving me crazy. I hate CC so much that I generally downsize my files to CS6 to avoid this problem, but this file only exists in CC and I can't get it to open. I can't find any tips on the site to fix this problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines