Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign crashes when trying to open large file

New Here ,
Jun 05, 2017 Jun 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

Someone had a similar question a few days ago but it seemed to have not been resolved.

I am trying to open a large catalog file in InDesign (228 MB). Every time I attempt to open it, it fails and crashes InDesign with a message about InDesign quitting unexpectedly. I have tried uninstalling and re-installing InDesign and clearing my cache - neither have worked. After re-installing InDesign, the file has stayed open a bit longer (30 secs or so) & then crashes. Any ideas what could be the problem? Is my file corrupt? And if it is, is there an option for recovering it?

Many thanks in advance for any thoughts or help you have to offer!

Screen Shot 2017-06-05 at 11.35.27 AM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 22, 2017 Jun 22, 2017

Hi,

There are multiple factors both internal and external to InDesign application that can lead to document corruption. However, I can take a look and see if the file can be repaired. Please email your InDesign file to corrupt_indesign_docs@adobe.com and I will take a look at the document.

If the file is larger than 10 Mb, you can zip (and password protect) the file and upload to Creative Cloud account (or Dropbox) and send us the document link.

Regards,

Sanyam Talwar

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you embed or link imported images? You should only link them. A huge amount of placed embedded images causes often corrupted files. If you can't solve it you will have go back to the latest backup, and unembedd all placed files!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All images should be linked. Even if they weren't I doubt I'd have much luck unembedding them with the limited time the file stays open. before crashing. I tried to double check and when I try to open the links tab, the file crashes instantly. & unfortunately revert isn't helping either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you share the file so i can open it and take a look?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure, where do I send it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

send them to mjstudioart@gmail.com

i will take a look at them for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,
Jun 07, 2017 Jun 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Lucia, just following up. I have not received the file. are you still having the issue. i am happy to open the file and look it if you sent it to me use drop box or box.com to send it to my email (mjstudioart@gmail.com).

Just want to make sure you are up and running with that file.

Thanks

Jonathan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 22, 2017 Jun 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi,

There are multiple factors both internal and external to InDesign application that can lead to document corruption. However, I can take a look and see if the file can be repaired. Please email your InDesign file to corrupt_indesign_docs@adobe.com and I will take a look at the document.

If the file is larger than 10 Mb, you can zip (and password protect) the file and upload to Creative Cloud account (or Dropbox) and send us the document link.

Regards,

Sanyam Talwar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines