• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Opening an image and it's pink?!

Community Beginner ,
Jun 22, 2017 Jun 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having trouble when I open an basic JPEG image it opens in pink.  This doesn't happen with all images, just some of them.  I have tried closing program and reopening, I have tried changing Image Mode settings. Please help!

Capture.JPG

[Moderator moved from Creative Cloud to Photoshop.]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 22, 2017 Jun 22, 2017

Hi

If you have Windows Photos or similar, open in that application then save as a copy from that application. This will create a new jpg file.

The copy should open OK in Photoshop (I've just tried it)

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it an out of gamut warning (with pink as the indicator)? What happens if you choose View > Gamut Warning? And what happens if you open the same jpg in a browser?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the Gamut Warning view

This is the JPEG browser view

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So it's Photoshop and not the file...What if you reset preferences?

PS delete prefs.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have just reset preference on quit, closed and reopened but it didn't work....still pink!!

Strange that it only does it for some and not for others. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Stephanie

Can you show your Photoshop color settings dialogue and also your Windows color management Devices settings box. That last one should show the profile being used for your display

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dave,

Colour Settings dialogue

Is this the view that you need for Windows?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the Windows screenshot can you show the tab on the left labelled "Devices"

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Empty

(I appreciate your help with this, well beyond my realm of understanding)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll be honest , I was expecting to see a monitor profile in there matching your monitor. Can you confirm you have just the one monitor ?

On the basis that it may have been broken we could have substituted a generic sRGB profile. However with nothing in that second box , windows will be using the generic sRGB profile anyway which is what we could have tried to see if your monitor profile was broken.

You could try this just to be sure :

Tick "Use my settings for this device"  - you can uncheck it later if you see no difference

Click "Add" and in the list that appears choose sRGB IEC61966-2.1
Once it is added to the devices box select it and click "Set as Default Profile"

Now check Photoshop. Are you still seeing the issue?

If you are - restore that "Use my settings for this device" back to unchecked and if you able to post a link to a file with the issue - I am happy to try it here so that we can rule in, or out, the file itself

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If not for the original screen shot showing otherwise, I'd have guessed that Quick Select was turned on.  I have had occasions when Quick select gets it's knickers in a twist, but resetting Preferences would clear that.

BTW, Assuming that Stephanie's Martinborough is the one in North Island, she is not far away from me — as the crow flies at least.  Of course we make better wine here

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That was my first thought also Trevor, but that screenshot says no

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is the correct Martinborough Trevor - although a very controversial claim RE better wine

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dave,

Confirming - only one monitor.

Have tried the check/uncheck of settings, unfortunately still no fix.  Have attached the file (assuming I've done this correctly?)

HB Chard Front.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

It's the file itself.

It says it has no color profile and therefore the working profile is assigned on opening. Yet that is breaking down completely with this file both in Photoshop and Illustrator. Viewing it in a non color managed app it looks fine.

I must admit to being a bit stumped here

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Dave - appreciate your time spent on this.  The only way I can get around is to snip tool/screen shot the image when viewing in browser and save over problematic JPEG file.  Time consuming and far from ideal but a solution nonetheless.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

If you have Windows Photos or similar, open in that application then save as a copy from that application. This will create a new jpg file.

The copy should open OK in Photoshop (I've just tried it)

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 23, 2017 Jun 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had another look at this "broken" file this morning, after a nights sleep and a good strong coffee .

It is not a profile issue - there is no profile in the file.

It appears the image that Photoshop is decoding  the channels Y,Cb,Cr (which is luminance and two color difference channels) directly into RGB without any translation. Whether that is due to a faulty flag in the file or a fault in Photoshop, or both,  I don't know. I need to get into the jpeg spec and your file to see and learn more. I did a search online and found reference to some cases of this nature, but in each case it was referring to decoding jpeg files and being able to trap for missing flags so that the image still gets decoded correctly. That might explain why some viewers are able to decode it correctly.

Do you know what application was used to create the file? There is a reference inside the file to Photoshop 3.0!

In the meantime the workaround in post 16 will work for you. Open the files in an app that does decode correctly, such as Windows Photos, Save as a new copy then open that new copy in Photoshop.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good sleuthing, Dave. I had no clue where to start with this one - but as always, the correct explanation becomes obvious once it's on the table.

I know what Chris Cox would have said here. How other applications took shortcuts with the file format specifications would always set him off, and he would always point out that Photoshop had to go by the book even if the others didn't.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There is something in the file Dag, but so far I have not found what.

The file is in the older Jpeg JFIF format rather than the newer Jpeg Exif format. As far as I can tell Adobe switched to the Exif format  between CS4/5. Unfortunately that means that I have not been able to write files in that format - the oldest Photoshop version I have installed is CS6.

I did download a couple of sample JFIF files from the web. Photoshop CC2017 opened those correctly. The start of frame marker which specifies the format is the same in those samples as in this problem file so the problem is deeper. At this point I've spent enough time for now , though I might come back to it layer - I do hate a mystery like this .

The OP can use the workaround I posted earlier to create useable files.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines