• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Repair corrupt raw files?

Engaged ,
Jun 14, 2017 Jun 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found threads here about corrupt raw files, but haven't found any solutions to repairing corrupt files on a healthy hard drive. Are there none? Any software that can repair corrupt .dng files?

I know about practices like formatting sd card in camera before shooting, backing up, running utilities on hard drives to make sure they're healthy, updating to latest versions of Adobe Raw and LR, etc. I always convert to dng when importing into LR.

The corrupt files in question were shot by 5DMIII, and are the correct file size (24mb or so), and previews in LR work normally.

Not looking for recs for media recovery (cards/drives); wondering if there are raw file repair solutions.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 22, 2017 Jun 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can give a try to InDesign Repair Tool. It is claimed that they are also responsible for the Raw Recovery concept.

I don't know whether both the Raw recovery is same or not, But you can check their Raw recovery to find out if it is same or not.

(Edited by Mod to remove a link)

PS: I haven't use the application, I just googled your problem & found the Raw recovery method explained here. You should install this software at your own responsibility.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll give that a try, thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why do you think they are corrupted? Can you post a screen shot of the LR program showing one of these files?

Can up upload one of them to Dropbox and post a link to it here so we can try it on our systems?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Just+Shoot+Me  wrote

Why do you think they are corrupted? Can you post a screen shot of the LR program showing one of these files?

Can up upload one of them to Dropbox and post a link to it here so we can try it on our systems?

Photoshop and LR both say so, see screenshots. I'll PM you link to one of the files, thanks.

Screen Shot 2017-06-22 at 1.42.28 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-06-22 at 1.42.41 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah it's TOAST. Can't see anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah it's TOAST. Can't see anything.

Me neither. So there's no software that repairs corrupt raw files? I have a lot of these, and they are the full filesize, I was hoping there was a utility that might rescue the photos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How did they become DNG files. That isn't the native format for Canon cameras.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How did they become DNG files. That isn't the native format for Canon cameras.

I shot .cr2/raw and converted to DNG on ingest with LR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you have a problem with the drive they were originally stored on (I don't remember you stating anything like that).

If these files are on the same drive used when they were copied from memory cards and import into LR then I would backup all files on that drive to another, known good, drive and stop using that original drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most or all of the files in question are from 2013; they are no longer on the original drive, which may have had issues, can't remember for sure. But I've run disk utilities on the drive where they currently reside and it appears to be healthy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The error message most likely indicates that there is no support for the camera that produced this RAW in your open version of Lightroom.

So what version NUMBER of LR do you have opened there? Please give us the version NUMBER (go to Help->System Info) and do not use words like "up to date".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dj_paige

The error message most likely indicates that there is no support for the camera that produced this RAW in your open version of Lightroom.

So what version NUMBER of LR do you have opened there? Please give us the version NUMBER (go to Help->System Info) and do not use words like "up to date".

Thanks for response, but the corrupt files were shot with a 5DM3, and I have zillions of raw photos shot with that camera that have been working fine with LR for years.

LR version:

LR: 2015.10.1

RAW: 9.10.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 01, 2018 Jun 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have similar issues with some RAW files I tried to restore from an hard drive. I have them all (about 23mb each) but I think they are corrupted or something. Either the image is partially visible, or not at all. Do I have to cry now and hit myself or is there still any hope?

Thank you .

Capture d’écran 2018-06-01 à 14.39.27.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 01, 2018 Jun 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These sure look like corrupted files.

You need to find the backups of these files and see if you can use the backups.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Nov 10, 2018 Nov 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone know of any software that repairs RAW image files, like .dng's?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jimtron  wrote

That doesn't exist. Usually when a raw file is corrupted or damaged it affects the data from the point of corruption on. Your only defense against this is having good backups.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Jao+vdL  wrote

jimtron   wrote

That doesn't exist. Usually when a raw file is corrupted or damaged it affects the data from the point of corruption on. Your only defense against this is having good backups.

Thanks for the reply; I was reading through this old thread, and realized the question I asked in the OP ("...wondering if there are raw file repair solutions.") was never answered.

I do have my photos backed up offsite, but have a folder full of raw files that inadvertently didn't make it to the backup.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines