Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Update to RH 7.0.1 fails to install

New Here ,
Oct 13, 2008 Oct 13, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

My updates fail to install only in RH. All my other CS3 apps update fine.

Error message reads: "Adobe RoboHelp 7.0.1 Update failed to install"

I already tried disabling virus protection

System: XP Home Edition with 2.0 GB RAM

Any ideas?

Thank you.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to the forum.

RH is not a CS3 application.

Does your logon have admin rights? Essential to applying updates.

Go to Help | About and check the version number there.

Go to Add Remove Programs and see what is reported there for RH.

Post back.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your response.
1. My login has full admin rights.
2. Help > About reports v 7.00.145
3. Add/Remove Programs for RH indicates v 7.0.1

And, yes, RH isn't a CS3 app...sorry for being both unclear and mistaken.
For what it's worth, I'm trying to convey that when I execute Help > Updates from within RH all of my other Adobe products update successfully: Both the TechComm Suite and all CS3 apps.
Yet, the Installation Incomplete event persists.

Thanks again,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I understand. I hit the same issue myself.

As you can see, Help | About does not think you have Update 7.0.1 installed so it goes to look for it and attempts to install it. But then Add / Remove takes over and it knows 7.0.1 is installed.

Do you just have the version of RH that came with TCS or do you also have the standalone version as well? Perhaps the standalone was installed and then you installed TCS over it?

I'd like to know a bit more before suggesting what you do.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I never had the standalone version of RH.
My installed version of RH came from TCS, which I installed directly after purchasing (no trial version preceding purchase).

Thanks for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK. What I would do then is go to Add Remove Programs (ARP) and uninstall that RH 7.0.1 entry.

Because you have TCS, I think that will leave ARP without a RH entry. If it does leave an entry, leave it for now.

Then go to the TCS entry and click Uninstall. That should show you the components that are installed. Is RH showing as installed there as well?

Post back with what installations you can find. I may not be around for a while (I'm UK based) so if you only find one entry, then I would uninstall that and then reinstall.

That fixed the problem for me but this is not official Adobe advice so it's at your own risk.

If you find two entries, then I suggest you hold off doing anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 14, 2008 Oct 14, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your recommended solution appears to be successful - thank you for your help.

Below are the steps I followed.

STEP 1: Uninstall the RH 7.0.1 entry from Add/Remove Programs (ARP)
Result: The RH entry within ARP is gone.

STEP 2: Examine TCS's installed components
Finding: One RH entry existed along with the other installed apps (FrameMaker, Captivate and Acrobat 3D)

STEP 3: Uninstall RH and verify.
Result: Re-examined TCS's installed components, which revealed that RH was uninstalled.

STEP 4: Reinstall RH via TCS installer
Result: Installation successful. Default version = 7.00.145

STEP 5: Run Adobe updater (Help | Updates...)
Result: Successfully downloaded and installed update. New version = 7.01.001

STEP 6: Run Adobe updater a second time
Result: Successfully downloaded and unstalled update. New version = 7.02.001.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 16, 2008 Oct 16, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am having the same problem Bruce was having installing the update, but I am using RoboHelp as a standalone version. I have full Admin access on my computer, About>Help says that I am running v 7.00.145 and Add/Remove Programs says I'm running v 7.0.1. I am also unable to publish any of my single source layouts.

Do you have any idea if these two issues are related and how to resolve either or both?

Thanks for your help!
Beth

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same solution as I outlined in my post.

Do that first and post back if that does not fix the other problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter,

Thank you for such a quick response. When my tech support person tried to uninstall/reinstall, I was still unable to publish or get the updates. Any other thoughts?

Thank you,
Beth

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is Help | About now in sync with Add Remove Programs?

Also the updates need to be installed by IT or yourself with admin rights. They cannot be installed without.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 17, 2008 Oct 17, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The good news is that the versions in Help | About and Add Remove Programs are now in sync. I am able to publish the sample project about clownfish that installs with RH.

The bad news is that I am not able to publish the project on which I am working. I'm assuming that something is corrupt somewhere within the project. Do you have any ideas where I might start looking to resolve this problem?

Thank you so much for your help.
Beth

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 19, 2008 Oct 19, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In a copy of the project, try deleting the CPD file and then reopening the project

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 20, 2008 Oct 20, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good afternoon,

I copied the project and deleting the .cpd file and reopened the project. I tried to publish and received the following messages in the status panel:
Preparing to create WebHelp. . .
Clearing output folder . . .
Preparing files for WebHelp . . .
Copying files . . .
Updating files . . .

At this point, a separate window opened with the following error message:
Adobe roboHelp 7 has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Any thoughts?

Thank you,
Beth

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 21, 2008 Oct 21, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You said the version are in sync. What version is showing?

Do you get the same problem with other outputs and / or other projects?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The version in Add/Remove Programs is 7.0.2 and the version within RoboHelp (Help>About) is 7.02.001.

I am able to generate all outputs from other projects and Printed Documentation from this project. I am not able to generate either WebHelp or Microsoft HTML help from this project.

When I tried to generate any output, I did notice that the processor version was 7.00.145 for WebHelp, FlashHelp and Printed Documentation. However, the preprocessor version for XML is 7.01.001.

Does this help?

Thank you,
Beth

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The version in Add/Remove Programs is 7.0.2 and the version within RoboHelp (Help>About) is 7.02.001

They are the same, don't ask me to explain.

Try generating the two outputs to new folders.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried generating the WebHelp output to a brand new folder and it gave me the same error.

Don't worry, I won't ask you to explain why those two version numbers are the same. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using a build expression? If you are, try without it.

When you post back, advise the size of the project zipped up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 22, 2008 Oct 22, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried it without the build expression and received the same error message.

Today, I cleaned out a bunch of folders using Windows Explorer that I had deleted from the RH project but were still mucking up the project folder. I was still unable to generate the output.

The project size is 5.25MB zipped up.

Thank you for your help.
Beth

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 22, 2008 Oct 22, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
I hope you used the Used / Unused Files reports to check RH didn't think those were part of the project.

Send me an email recapping the problem and including a link to this thread. There's a link on my site.

Then zip up the project and send it via http://transferbigfiles.com using the same address.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp