• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Replacing old fonts with Open Type

New Here ,
Jun 23, 2017 Jun 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any way to globally change all style sheets so that the OpenType figure style is Proportional Lining instead of "Default"? (which in SCALA OT and SCALA SANS OT is oldstyle)

I am replacing older fonts with their OpenType equivalent and using the Find Font dialog box and choosing "Redfine Style When Changing All" (which is great), but these are large books with 30 chapters and many many style sheets and going into each style sheet in a document to manually change the OpenType figure style is a daunting task that will take a long time.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 23, 2017 Jun 23, 2017

Have you tried editing all the styles in one of the chapters, and the using Load Paragraph Styles from that one in the otherr? That would be quicker. Or using a book's sync options, and just syncing the paragraph styles?

Synchronize book documents

When you synchronize documents in a book, the items you specify—styles, variables, master pages, trap presets, cross-reference formats, conditional text settings, numbered lists, and swatches—are copied from the style source to the specified documents in

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think that could be done with InDesign's built-in features. It might be scriptable. If you don't get an answer here, ask in the InDesign Scripting forum:

InDesign Scripting

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are your styles mainly based on each other? In that case, you don't need to change each one by one.

Most of my own styles are baed on one or two common "base" styles, and that makes life easier when changing a certain document-wide settings such as the applied language.

If not, then they'd still be based on "Base Paragraph". It's kind of a long shot but you could try to change the digit style in there and see if it works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I strongly endorse the application of discipline in creating and editing documents in terms of defining and using paragraph and character styles. It is just this type of situation where having a well-defined hierarchy of styles (“based on”) can save you hours of time and effort and yield more consistent results.

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, I did not create these files. I would never have set them up this way. Instead of using a template each time they have updated these books, they have just copied the old one and modified it, so there are so many unrelated style sheets.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These are large learning books of 35 chapters and though many of the variant styles are based on the original (meaning I only have to change "Body Text" once for all other Body variants, there are so many different headers and boxes and front matter and master pages and chapter openers that all have different style sheets that might have numbers in them, I would be changing over a dozen style sheets manually in each of the 35 chapters and this would be for 8 different books of the same approximate length.

You'd think in the type preferences they would have added an Opentype feature to specify what figure style you want to use as a general default.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem with having a type preference [that] would have added an OpenType feature to specify what type of figure style you want to use as a general default is that such a preference would be confusing unless the paragraph styles attribute for OpenType numeric form had a don't care option. Otherwise, it would be very confusing as to what overrides what.

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't understand your answer. I want all instances in all style sheets to have an opentype figure style of "Proportional Lining" how would that be confusing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I want all instances in all style sheets to have an opentype figure style of "Proportional Lining" how would that be confusing?

If that's all you need it could also be done via a simple script.

This AppleScript changes all of the paragraph styles in the active document, it wouldn't take much to add character styles and a loop to batch multiple documents:

tell application "Adobe InDesign CC 2017"

set s to every paragraph style of active document

repeat with x in s

try

set OTF figure style of x to proportional lining

end try

end repeat

end tell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried editing all the styles in one of the chapters, and the using Load Paragraph Styles from that one in the otherr? That would be quicker. Or using a book's sync options, and just syncing the paragraph styles?

Synchronize book documents

When you synchronize documents in a book, the items you specify—styles, variables, master pages, trap presets, cross-reference formats, conditional text settings, numbered lists, and swatches—are copied from the style source to the specified documents in the book, replacing any items that have identical names.

If items in the style source are not found in the documents being synchronized, they are added. Items that are not included in the style source are left as is in the documents being synchronized.

Create book files with Adobe InDesign

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is something I can try!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines