• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Resized and saved image comes out larger/pixelated when viewed outside of photoshop

New Here ,
Jun 24, 2017 Jun 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone!

I have an image that was made in Illustrator and was saved as a PDF, which I then opened in Photoshop to resize and export as a JPG to send a friend. The image looks as it should as a PDF, and on screen when viewed in PS or in its original AI file. When I resize it in Image > Image Size and save via File > Export As, it looks fine when opened and viewed in PS but when I open it on Preview it looks larger at "Actual Size" than it does at 100% on PS. I've tried saving as PNG, or resizing on Illustrator and exporting from there but it does the same thing.

I know it's something I've done wrong, and I don't know a lot about dealing properly with resolution/dpi/ppi so that is probably where I'm messing up? Ill add an example of what I mean as an attachment.

How do I get the image I save to open as the same size/not become pixelated? I need to send the image to a friend and it's not intended for screen so I don't think I can save for web?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I feel like a doofus!

Screen Shot 2017-06-24 at 9.27.24 pm.jpg

Screen Shot 2017-06-24 at 9.27.35 pm.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 24, 2017 Jun 24, 2017

I think you have the Preview Preferences set this way where it defines "Actual Size" as Print Size and not Photoshop's 1 image pixel = 1 screen pixel. I tried it and my image looks larger. Check that Preview setting and try Actual Size again. There is nothing wrong with your image, just the Preview viewing settings. An image that's exported to jpeg may have the metadata taken out and the ppi goes from 300 to 72, which I think you will see when you check the jpeg's image size in Photoshop.

72 ppi

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you have the Preview Preferences set this way where it defines "Actual Size" as Print Size and not Photoshop's 1 image pixel = 1 screen pixel. I tried it and my image looks larger. Check that Preview setting and try Actual Size again. There is nothing wrong with your image, just the Preview viewing settings. An image that's exported to jpeg may have the metadata taken out and the ppi goes from 300 to 72, which I think you will see when you check the jpeg's image size in Photoshop.

72 ppi would make a 4x larger size print proofed on screen.

So I think you have two things going on: Preview's definition of Actual Size set to Print Size and your PSD losing the 300 ppi print metadata and having it set to 72 ppi (if for example you set metadata to "none" on export).

At least that's what it looks like from my checks on the Macbook Pro and OSX 10.12.5

Screen Shot 2017-06-24 at 6.36.17 AM.png

Gene

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply Gene. I checked Preview and it's set to 1 image pixel equals 1 screen pixel, but you're right when I check the image size it's gone down to 72. I checked the export settings and it's got Metadata options "none" or "copyright and contact", both of which give me 72 when I export and save. I've just tried to Save As instead of Export and it's saving as 300 now but still shows larger in Preview. Is this maybe just an issue with Preview then?

gener7​

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Looks like it. If File > Info or cmd i shows the same pixel dimensions, it does point to Preview. If you have another image editor or even Bridge, 100% should be the same as in Photoshop.

Since you mentioned PDF, also look at this Preview Preference:

Screen Shot 2017-06-24 at 11.58.30 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines