Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Paragraph styles turn text white?

New Here ,
Jun 24, 2017 Jun 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I'm encountering a weird problem in InDesign, where text randomly turns white when I apply paragraph styles. At first it only happened when I tried to paste text from a Word document into a text box and then tried to apply a paragraph style, but now it also happens when I switch from one paragraph style to another.

Some more info:

For some reason I can't paste without formatting (the option is also grayed out in the menu), which means text is always highlighted turquoise when it appears in the document. That in itself wouldn't be a problem (although it's odd), but as I mentioned, once I try to apply a paragraph style to it, the whole text simply turns white.

This doesn't appear to be an override, and thus I also can't use the button to clear overrides to get rid of whatever is being applied.

I've tried pasting with CMD+V from Word docs, Google Docs and Scrivener, and I've tried importing text the proper way.

Does anybody know what's happening? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I can also upload a screencast of it if necessary.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try restoring your InDesign preferences:

Trash, Replace, Reset, or Restore the application Preferences

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Steve, thanks very much for the suggestion, I'll give this a try!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a Character Style applied somewhere?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Re Steve's excellent suggestion, to save you going through all the ways of trashing your InDesign Preferences, try this;

Close and relaunch InDesign, and IMMEDIATELY hold down Ctrl + Alt + Shift (Windows) or Cmd + Ctrl + Opt + Shift (Mac), and respond in the affirmative to the dialog asking if you really want to replace the preferences. you must be extremely fast on the keyboard (if you don’t see the confirmation prompt, you were too slow),

You may have to do it a couple of times before you get the hang of it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Derek, thanks a lot for the tip, I'll give this a try!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Derek, no need to jump on the keys. Just hold down the keys first, then start the application. Took me a while to realize this would work. 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you AM. x

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you apply the Paragraph Style make sure that you have Shift and Option pressed. This will detach any previous styles that may have been applied.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bill, thanks for the suggestion, unfortunately this option is not available when I try to paste, it's even grayed out in the menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 25, 2017 Jun 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Object style [None] and clear override and character style [None]. Finally create text frame

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines