• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to stop InDesign from making 5 page spreads

Explorer ,
Jun 23, 2017 Jun 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my project all I want is 2 page spreads. The project was fine, until I aligned my text to my baseline grid. That caused the page count to grow, but rather than add spreads, InDesign added pages to the last spread of the main section. And didn't flow the text across them.

5 Page Spread.png

I noticed this because I had overset text at the end.

I tried to redistribute pages, allowing document pages and the selected spread to shuffle (and said NO to the keep same amount of pages in a spread), and things just got weirder

Allow Doc Pages and Selected Spread to Shuffle.png

An extra oddity here is this spread shown with three pages in the workspace shows as a 2 page spread in the Pages window. And page 1 (Introduction) should be on the left hand page. What a mess!

I've bounced around the forums and help pages, but didn't find any help.

Any clues? Thanks!!!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 23, 2017 Jun 23, 2017

Odd numbers are right hand pages (and 1 is an odd number). If you want a spread, undo and add a blank left page in front of one.

InDesign CCss_008.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the Pages panel menu, make sure Allow Document Pages and Selected Spread to Shuffle are both checked:

InDesign CCss_004.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did that and got my second image (above).

Just to be sure, I did it again just now, and got all sorts of problems:

Allow Doc Pages and Selected Spread to Shuffle 2.png

And when I scroll down, I still have the 5 page spread of infinite evil.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't see your Pages panel menu in any of your screen shots, but I do see brackets around the page numbers, which means you don't have both commands enabled on all the spreads.

In the Pages panel, click on the first page, shift click the last page and go back to the Pages Panel one more time and make sure both commands outlined in orange have a checkmark in front of them.

InDesign CCss_006.pngInDesign CCss_007.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, I'm almost there. When I did what you said, I got this (notice page 1 is not in a spread and it should be):

Both Check with New Section.png

I noticed this is the start of a new numbering section, so I took out the section and got this:

Both Checked wo New Section.png

I have noticed a lot of publishers don't bother with sections for numbering (the cover on a pdf is page 1). Maybe this is why? Perhaps I should switch to one big section.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Odd numbers are right hand pages (and 1 is an odd number). If you want a spread, undo and add a blank left page in front of one.

InDesign CCss_008.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 24, 2017 Jun 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! I would never have found that without help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 24, 2017 Jun 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Awesome!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines